Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Please HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 10:35 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please HELP!!

I have a 99 Disco with some sputtering problems whether driving or in park. Here is a list of what has been done:
1. Rebuild Transmission
2. New Radiator
3. New Fuel pump and filter
4. New Brake system, sans abs
5. Replaced spark plugs and wires
6. Replaced Crank Shaft Sensor
7. Replaced Steering gear box x 2
8. New Alternator
9. Replaced all ball joints and bearings on the front
10. Replaced water pump, wasn't bad just did since the radiator leaked beyond repair, better safe than sorry?
11. Of course oil changes and had front and rear axle drives along with the transfer case gear grease replaced

It was running smooth until recently when it all of a sudden started jerking and acting like it wasn't getting gas while driving down the highway, Fuel pressure is strong, but it is progressively getting worse to where I dare not drive it, today was the worse. I got a code for the crank shaft sensor again and someone else said the speed sensor? might be bad. I really do not have the funds to take it for a diagnostic test so ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated

Old 11-07-2011, 10:41 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

So, give us the exact 3 or 4 digit fault code numbers so we can help.
What is your fuel pressure and what octane gas are you burning?

Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

You are going to spend more just throwing parts at it then paying for diagnosis. If it's throwing a code for crank sensor, I'd start there. Is your sensor still under warranty?

When you say sputtering, does it just run rough? Does it completely die? Does it not rev over a certain RPM?

Old 11-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

If you are in an area with national chain auto parts stores, most will read your codes for free, hoping you'll buy parts there. Please write down the numbers. Sometimes thier scanner has a generic text assigned to the code, and Rover may be just a little different. Won't cost you anything but some gas.

Vehicle speed sensor won't have as much impact in park as the Crank Shaft Position Sensor. Warranty review of that may be in order.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The code was p0335. It runs fine until it starts sputtering then it is as if it is chocking even dying but starts right back up. The work I had done has been done over three years and I have done everything but rebuilding the transmission. I changed the Crankshaft sensor about 4 months ago because it threw this same code. It ran perfect until a couple weeks ago. I replaced the valve cover gaskets and it soon after the sputtering started., I checked all the connections, air lines fuel pressure is @ 35 to 40 . before this started when I rev the engine it starts to hick up around 3500 rpm while in park but never a problem driving before this episode. One thing, while replacing the last CSS, the shield body crumbled so I just used the spacer, sans the cover body also brought the CSS from Advance Auto? Also the # 1 & 3 spark plugs weren't tightened completely? so I thought I caught a break, but to no effect? Could the CSS cause the chocking? I pray the Coil packs are ok but it is my fear that may be it. Also, I just remembered when it rains it ran rough also so I was advised to lightly spray some WD-40 in the coil packs and the spark plug wires to keep moisture out, since I have done that I haven't had any problems with the rain. that was about 3 months ago any advice would be great and appreciated.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go under the truck and unplug the VSS (vehicle speed sensor), it is by the transfer case next to the transmission, Buzz will post a pic of its location.
Unplug it and drive the truck, your speedo wont work but you just want to see if the problem is still there.
If not that is your problem and you need a new one.
If it is still there then you need to keep looking.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

here you go

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
vss d1.pdf (714.2 KB, 146 views)
Old 11-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If I read this right, you can rev up the engine and it will hick-up, while in neutral, if that is correct, the VSS is not a player in your problem.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Spike Vss was only a problem on the gems vehicles. bosch vehicles such as the disco 2 get the speed signal from an abs sensor. let me think about this...

Old 11-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator

From RAVE for D2:

It is vital that the CKP sensor output wires are not reversed (i.e. the connector is fitted incorrectly) as this will cause a 3 degree
advance in ignition timing. This happens because the ECM uses the falling edge of the signal waveform as its reference or timing point for each passing tooth on the reluctor.

and

Reference mark outside search window for more than
two revs, with engine speed above 500 rev/min

So, Crank Position Sensor may have been moved, is mounted with spacers incorrect, etc. Here's a list of typical failures:
Sensor assembly loose.
l
Incorrect spacer fitted.

l
Sensor open circuit.

l
Sensor short circuit.

l
Incorrect fitting and integrity of the sensor.

l
Water ingress at sensor connector

l
ECM unable to detect the software reference point.

l Ferrous contamination of crank sensor pin/reluctor

Read all about it in the RAVE workshop manual for D2, Engine Management section.

Quick Reply: Please HELP!!