Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Possible to disable ABS light without removing bulb?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Well, you might have to be sneaky and rewire the bulb holder so it is driven by one of the lights that also does the power up self test each time. They all go out about the same time...

Cut black slate wire at connector C209 pin 20. That is ground path for ABS light, operated by relay or the ABS control itself.

Splice this wire to the white brown wire at connector C208 pin 6. That is the oil warning light, and it is grounded by either the MFU (multi function unit, a timer) or the oil pressure switch. So when oil light is on ABS light is on.

On the other hand you always have the option to repair the ABS. Driving with a working ABS can save you from having a crash. Bypassing the light system to pass inspection probably makes you liable if there is a crash, and the UK is known for not having a shortage of hungry lawyers. Might also be some sort of hefty fine and vehicle impound in some jurisdictions.

Assume the worst - you have a crash, the other vehicle belongs to the wife of a lawyer, your insuance company denies coverage of the modified vehicle, the lawyer goes after your personal assets, retirement, home, college fund, etc.

I do not suggest that you make the above mentioned bypass, it is presented as a theoretical discussion only.

Old 01-14-2012, 05:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Hi, just found this site after doing a search for ABS faults.... and this solution would be ideal for me, only trouble is so far it hasn't worked....

I'm in the UK, and the car is a 95 300 TDI ...... i cleared all fault codes, but of course the faults return as soon as i drive it.
Would like to remove the function , but it's law over here for for it to work if fitted.
Providing the light goes out as it should, they shouldn't have cause to doubt the system works.

But removing the multi plug from the modulator brings up a fault straight away, a connection failure between modulator and ecu.... so the light stays on! .......... unless of course i'm doing something very wrong

Any clues as to where i've messed up ? or any suggestions as to what to try next.
Never been a fan of ABS , so i'm quite happy have it dissabled.... providing it 'looks' like it's working

Dave

It is possible that my info is not correct.
If someone else can confirm that the ABS throws a fault once the ABS module is unplugged then we can call it a bust I think.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:12 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys, i would rather the system worked and i am trying to make it do so.... but money is tight and the parts are so expensive and if cheating a bit gets me mobile until i can afford to fix it, then i may take that course.
I do realise the possible implications should the **** hit the fan though... and i'll admit it does worry me.

I'm still interested to know if it was just me or my machine that failed to cheat....

Dave

Old 01-16-2012, 07:08 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I do realise the possible implications should the **** hit the fan though... and i'll admit it does worry me.
Yeah, the UK does tend to take mods a bit more seriously here, especially if you're in an accident.