Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Possibly buying a 96 Disco. Need Some Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 06:16 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pay no more than a $1000, you can have a trail truck until it quits and you can make most of that money back parting it out.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I would stay away from one with that many miles on it PERIOD. These are not Mercedes Benz Diesels that can easily go that many x2.
Is that why I still see high schoolers driving those things around?!

"If you pay no more than a $1000, you can have a trail truck until it quits and you can make most of that money back parting it out."

That was my plan. Get it cheap and use it as a trail truck so I can keep my 04 looking good! First thing I'd do was sell those giant tires for something more appropriate. I told the owner I could only offer 1000 to 1200, which I would be completely comfortable with considering I could probably get almost all of my money back parting it out or selling whole once the truck got close to dying or died. He says he can't take less than 2k, so I told him to hang on to my contact info, and give me a call back in a month or so if/when he still has it. Sounds like he's in way over his head here and may be starting to figure it out.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, there are a lot of the older Mercedes still kicking around. The ones that were built in Germany. I had a 86 420SEL that was absolutely incredible. I traded a worn out 96 Bronco XLT 351 and a few thousand for the stretch Benz. It was one of the last hand made in Germany. The seats were made by real furniture makers and stuffed with horsehair. They no longer build them like that. It was not a diesel, which last even longer as far as motors go.

It was a 4.2 liter V8 with fuel injection and overdrive. It was a fantastic cruiser. I also bought an 86.5 Porsche 928. The Benz would hang with the Porsche which was somewhat surprising.

I would still have the Benz if that dumb bi*ch had not rear ended me when she came flying over the hill and rear ended me that day right in front of my house...