Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Pressure Washing and Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure Washing and Hose Replacement

Hey, I have a 95 DI and I'm wondering if I have to take any special precautions before I pressure wash the underside of my truck? I don't necessarily plan on washing the top of the engine compartment, it seems fairly clean, but the underside is a fright and I need to find where the leaks are so I can address them.
While I'm posting a thread, I have a lot of leakiness from the power steering reservoir, what are the likely candidates that would go wrong? I saw in another post that is could be the clamp at the bottom of the tank...also where would I get replacement lines for all the power steering stuff? a lot of them are half metal and half rubber.

Old 07-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the power steering hose kit from AB:http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9397D.cfm

As for likely candidates start with the hose clamps as they are the most likely. Replace all of them with worm clamps. Clean the area good with some straight Simple Green and wait and see if it comes back. Mine was leaking horribly from the bottom of the gear box itself but after a treatment with White Shepard no more problems. I replaced all my hoses with that kit and went to worm clamps. Everything is kosher now (at least with that).

As for undercarriage, you can power wash but be careful not to get up in the engine bay as you could get your ECU wet or alt and game over. The safer bet is buy the Simple Green by the gallon along with a spray bottle and lots of cheap rags. Crawl under, spray, and go to town cleaning. Most on here will not recommend power washing anything but it can be done if carefully approached. I used both methods in cleaning mine.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I fully agree with the Simple Green and lots of rags. I use old stuff that none of us wear anymore. That way I have an excuse to buy new clothes as well. I sprayed under my hood one time at the car wash and it barely ran for about an hour. Had to stop off at a friends house and get drunk on the way home.