Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radiator leaking Trans fluid

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2023, 06:26 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Radiator leaking Trans fluid

Hello folks, I have relatively new radiator that is leaking trans fluid like crazy. This past weekend I disconnected the upper and lower transmission lines and I put new O-rings between the line connections and the brass step-down connectors, thinking my shop had probably re-used the old o-rings. Also, there were no o-rings between the brass connectors and the radiator fitting, so I added O-rings there.

Ran the truck for a few minutes, and the upper connection is bone dry now, but the bottom one is still leaking---it's dripping from that bottom corner of the radiator below the lower line, so I can't tell if the leak is coming from around the threads on the fitting or internally from the radiator and dripping down. Two questions:

1) This is one of those areas with crap access for a wrench, so you're tightening that lower line about 1/16th of a turn each time before repositioning the wrench. I got it as absolutely snug as I could, but there's still about 1/8" of thread showing on the radiator fitting. On the upper fitting and both oil cooler fittings on the other side of the radiator, I notice the brass connector snugs right up to the radiator. This could be my "duh, dummy" cause, but could anyone else take a look at their lower connection and see if the connector is tight to the radiator and let me know please?

2) What are the odds of the break coming internally in the trans cooler? That connection sure flexes a lot while it's being tightened, and I could see how it could crack if it was welded poorly.

Appreciate any inputs you guys can offer---thanks!

Old 02-21-2023, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,247 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Remove the upper fan shroud, fan blade/fan clutch assembly, and then the lower radiator shroud. You'll then be looking point blank at those line connections on either side oil/transmission and can see exactly what is going on & you can certainly tighten them better/easier

Old 04-27-2023, 08:27 AM
Overlanding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks best! Ended up doing just that and worked great.

The following users liked this post:
Best4x4 (04-27-2023)