Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radiator Plug

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:09 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by geek_IM
And I'll just throw this out there -

All the country fried, half assed lame stuff that gets posted on this board and you are silent

A well respected and helpful poster/moderator puts one up that's just a touch low and outside and you guys stir up like trolls under a bridge
Well, whenever I see something that I think is a bad idea I point it out, I don't care who the poster is.
Whenever I see someone mention using an NPT plug I recommend against it.
I would hope someone would do the same for something I suggest that's not the greatest of ideas.
But you haven't been here that long, so I'll forgive your misconception.

In any case, I just happened to notice the thread today, I don't often read the tech tips section. Since it's a semi-official recommendations section, I felt it a good idea for anyone reading it to be fully informed.

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:10 PM
|
Team Owner

That plug scrwed in by hand with no help from a wrench or any force what so ever.
Just a little snugging with a spanner to make sure it was tight, no leaks, no problems 4 months later.
So if you have the time to wait a week for the "correct" part fine, but if you are like me and you depend on your truck every single day of the week and you can ride your Schwinn down to the hardware store this is the plug for you.
Each to their own, set your truck on fire and roll it down a hill, what do I care?
Spend all of your money on OEM parts, I dont care.

Old 09-13-2011 | 07:16 PM
|
Team Owner

Originally Posted by antichrist
Well, whenever I see something that I think is a bad idea I point it out, I don't care who the poster is.
Whenever I see someone mention using an NPT plug I recommend against it.
I would hope someone would do the same for something I suggest that's not the greatest of ideas.

In any case, I just happened to notice the thread today, I don't often read the tech tips section. Since it's a semi-official recommendations section, I felt it a good idea for anyone reading it to be fully informed.
I have to say that I do agree with Tom that if bad info is given it should be called out no matter who gives it.
That being said, non conforming parts do work, they can save you money as well as time and if you need your truck back on the road whats the problem?
If it works it works.

Old 09-14-2011 | 12:48 PM
Pro Wrench

Read this last night.

Broke plug today.

Used Spike's fix carefully...which is working fine.

Will get new correct plug very soon. Thanks Spike. Super helpful.

Old 02-10-2013 | 05:34 PM

thanks i had to do this the closest rover dealer ws 60 miles from my home so i went to true value put this in and wala it got me to the dealer and i lost no more collant thanks for the great tip and who cars about npt and rdds or what ever thread there close enough for an EMERGENCY anti you need jesus BTW I PAID 10 BUCK FOR A PLASTIC PLUG NOT 4 BUT THIS WAS AT MY NOT SO LOCAL DEALER

Last edited by Christina Jon Harrington; 02-10-2013 at 05:36 PM. Reason: FOREGOT TO ADD SOMETHING
Old 02-10-2013 | 06:04 PM
Baja

Since this was brought back from the dead (perfect timing since season 3 of The Walking Dead starts tonight) I thought I'd also point out that the plastic plugs are known to be crap. If you haven't already replaced it with a brass one, ring Rovahfarm and order one today along with some RTC3511 hub seals, you'll also be needing those within the coming year.

Old 02-19-2013 | 02:48 AM
Rock Crawling

Mine BLEW out when out picking up a Craigslist "bargain". Noticed a huge puddle of coolant when I parked at the sellers house. He took me to the local O'Reily's and I hunted through all the isles looking for something that would fill the hole. Eventually I found a generic brand 14mm oil pan drain plug which seemed to have the same thread pitch & size. Put it in and got back on my way, is still in there to this day 2 years later. came with a gasket washer which is sealing fine too. I'll post pics and part #'s when I get home.

Old 02-19-2013 | 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, I think I smell a new sticky coming thru....

Old 03-09-2013 | 01:50 AM
Rock Crawling

Sorry just now getting back to this. OK I guess I can't post pictures as I don't have a hosting site. But here are the details on the plug. It's an "Oil-tite" drain plug made by Doorman. Size is M20 x 1.5mm thread pitch. Doorman part #65221. I found mine in O'Reilys. Fits like a glove. Here is a link to the part on the Doorman site:

Dorman Products - 65221

Old 03-09-2013 | 10:09 AM
Super Moderator

On the suggestion from mordor110, I stopped by O'Reilly's this morning, found said item on the oil change aisle, $4.09.
After it cools down I'll find out if it will fit the threads I have used the 75 cent fix on.

Follow up, went in fine, test drive with no leaks.

Attached Thumbnails Radiator Plug-p1120629.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-09-2013 at 11:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Plug