Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

radio installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The amp is under my passenger seat, useless though. The harness is already unplugged and it looks like they cut it. The speaker wires seem to be hidden underneath the carpet under the center console (shift ****/cdl). I attempted to take off the center plastic, and remove the carpet but after 15mins I decide to wait, clean up, and really understand how to remove everything.

Old 05-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I purchased pioneer deh-3200ub receiver for my 98 disco. And metra harness 70-9400 to create the rca's. When I look to see where the harness is trying to get the common ground wire from the original plug, there is no wire in that port. So looking at the pin diagram, it is supposed to be the right rear ground. However, I only have a left front and left rear ground wire into the original adapter. So are the front two common ground and back two common ground? Thought this was true so I took left front ground and had that go to the two RCA front plugs and left rear ground to the rear rca's. However, all I get is a humming from the speakers. Really want it to work without rewiring but that might be next. Also, does it matter which antenna I use with antenna adapter?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM
Three Wheeling

Thinking I'm going to do the direct run from speakers to receiver and bypass the amp. Also think I can use the RCA addapter to run the subwoofer up to the receiver after I pull those wires from the amp

Old 05-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Three Wheeling

So I pulled the harness out of the amp and my central locking via remote or key in door no longer works so not able to lock the car. This makes no sense

Old 05-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by joefresso
So I pulled the harness out of the amp and my central locking via remote or key in door no longer works so not able to lock the car. This makes no sense
No, that doesn't make sense and not what I really wanted to hear. We need Chris back on, you may want to PM him, he's the resident expert on this and I would love to hear what's up. I'm going to be upgrading the system eventually, after I fix all the leaks first of course.

Old 05-15-2011, 11:47 AM
Three Wheeling

so i plugged the wires for the amp back in and buttons on remote didn't work still...after about an hour, they started working again. still not sure if issue is related (don't see how it could be) but i had also unplugged the alarm ecu last night and plugged it back in. guessing that was the real cause, but not sure how it just started working again on its own with that issue either

Old 05-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Three Wheeling

got the new head unit installed today; ended up having to bypass the factory amp. kept getting a buzzing with the RCA adapter. Direct hook up to the speakers with built in amp of new head unit sounds better than the old amp (even with subwoofer not hooked up). might look into getting the subwoofer hooked into new head unit with rca's.

The following users liked this post:
DiscoOne98 (05-17-2017)
Old 05-19-2011, 11:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have any pictures of their aftermarket stereo's installed?
Esp any flip out screens?

Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Winching

No, I'm sure no one has any pictures of anything like that...

Don't know who's this is but, tada! Flip out screen:

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1789
Size:  84.3 KB

I don't know, looks a bit flimsy for an off-road truck, but I guess that's the general theme with the interiors on these.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is sent from heaven! Just did an install. Went totally fine. Bypassed the amp and it sounds waaaaay better. Thnx rover Chris !

Quick Reply: radio installation