Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Radio, Stereos, Subs: Let's get this straight.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
You don't need an amp, that wasn't what I was trying to say. I'd start with a HU and decent speakers, may need to make some spacers so they will fit in the door. If you aren't satisfied, get an amp.
I'm Going to do this, and then see where I am. If I want an amp and sub I can always add it. My God though, finding four inch speakers on Craig's list is damn near impossible, why did LR go with four instead of 6.25 or 5.25 like the rest of the damn world. Is it 4x4 as well? I'd prefer not to have to Dremel so I won't buy like a 4x6 if so.

Also, will it make a difference if I go two or three way? I'm watching out for power consumption as I'll likely be bypassing the stock amp, but so far I've only been able to locate three I'd be interested in locally, and two are two way while the other is three I believe:

Alpine Speakers Brand New!
Pioneer 4x6 Speakers
Polk Audio -DXi 400 4 inch Coaxial Speakers

I'm leaning towards the Alpines as they seem to be the highest quality, I think I can grab them for cheaper than he's asking and the HU I'm looking at is up there, but if anyone knew of any reason the others might be better I'm open.

Would it be better to simply bypass the factory amp or continue using it with the new speakers and HU? The more I think about it I can't see how it could hurt, although I have heard of needing to dampen noise from the alternator if I go this route, which confuses me as it doesn't seem to need it now.

Edit: And can someone remind me whether I'm just imagining this or not, but I feel like I remember reading that we needed a special radio removal tool on my last disco. Want to know before I go buy some radio removal tool and I don't know what to search for in the RAVE to bring it up.

Last edited by Hyakku; 04-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:22 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

I took out the old subs and sub amp. Bot an 250w mono amp on ebay for $35 and two 6.5" subs from MCM Electronics (~$35 each) that would match the impedance and power of the amp. I installed the amp in the pouch next to the speakers. Now my baby rocks on down the road. It is amazing what some solid low end power can do.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some guy on here took out his jump seats and made each side a box for 10" subs. He routed the wire under the carpet and the amp was under a seat I think. I took out my stock subs in the rear cargo door. 6.5 is nothing to me, even two. I plan on replacing that whole rear door area with a stainless steel plate from Columbia Rovers I believe. Add a drop down table and it's more useful to me.