Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Random ABS light

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Random ABS light

Hi all,

The ABS light on '97 3.9 v8i comes on at weird random times, most commonly after I have been driving for a while or, as it seems, if i go over a bump etc... . Never stays on after start up & initial driving. I have checked the codes (by paper clip)which revealed 4 codes all for the front left wheel. I cleared them, but sure enough after a while the light flicked back on.

It appears to be 'bump' related somehow....drive straight & on the flat seems to be all ok.

Anybody had similar experiences?

Maybe a hub float issue or a relay...?

Cheers

Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Check the wheel sensors for damaged wires. Very common for the wires to catch on something and or rub through.

Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Tap the offending ABS sensor back into its retainer ring.
They work loose over time.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:44 PM
3rd Gear

You can also check the ABS sensor connection between the wheel hub and the budy. If there is gunk or dirt in there, you'll get a bad connection, which will set off your light. It's located right under the wheel well (usually two there, one for the brake line, one for the sensor).

Old 07-24-2011, 01:05 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mitsy, you are describing a wire fault. The wire to the sensor is failing from bending fatigue... likely near the sensor at the front end.
Has the ABS acted "weird" yet. Expect the ABS to kick in and deny braking the first time you apply brakes after the engine has been started and then not happen again untill you restart the engine. Very dangerous if you tend to drive hard.

First, measure the resistivity of the sensor with a digital Ohm meter set to lowest. The resistivity should be near 1 Ohm. If 1.5 or higher, you are measuring the sensor and the little bit of copper wire left at the wire failure. Follow the sensor wire from the sensor to the connector, disconnect the wire and measure.
Next, have someone reach under the car and move the wire around and see if the resistivity changes. If it doesn't change move to the other sensor.

I have opened up the wire and renew the connection... Also added extra wire strain relief (Long SS spring around the wire to spread the flexing). 7 years later still good.

FYI: If you get the "Brake Denial", stop, open the hood, reach for either ABS sensor connector and unplug it. This disables the front ABS only, but the ABS light stays ON.
I hope this helps you

SD

Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 AM
Overlanding

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies.Yes definitely seems like a wire problem. It first occurred at the conclusion of a rather rugged day of hunting & 4wd. Will hook up my multi metre & see what I get.

Cheers