Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

AntiFreeze Level

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AntiFreeze Level

Hello All

I started hearing gurgling noises inside the cab of my 98' Disco. I check the level and it was about a gallon low. As far as I know the fluid is suppose to be a semi-sealed mechanism correct? So it being a gallon low means there is something wrong? The truck has never over heated since I have owned it.

Any ideas?

Thanks
ed

Old 08-17-2011, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

You have a symptom of a head gasket leak. Makes that swishing sound in the pipes under the dashboard. May notice it more when giving it gas.

The coolant had to go someplace. That could be on the ground (in which case you would overheat), or out the tailpipe (usually has some white smoke, perhaps even at idle). May also smell like antifreeze near tail pipe.

Can check spark plugs, one or more cyclinder may be geting "steam cleaned" by the leak. You can rent or borrow a pressure tester from auto parts store to pressure test the system at 18 psi for 15 minutes.

The best confirmation is a test kit from the auto parts store, about $50, makes like 16 tests. It tests for combustion products in the coolant, if positive ...

Then it will be time for head gaskets, about $300 for parts, plus another $200 for having heads checked and planed flat again. Couple of days to do if your first time up. A recent poster said he could do it in 5 hours, he must have eight arms....

But if tests are negative, you might have a leak from any number of hoses, or water pump - does your wiggle when running (look at serpantine belt)? water getting out can let air in. A gallon is a big loss.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 08-17-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think a head job is probably warranted.

Water pump same time?
Some one wrote that I should replace the cam too since it has 175K on it, in another post that I made some time ago. Valid?

I did notice anti-freeze down on some hoses driver's side near oil pan. But I do not see any issues with the water pump wobbling. I have checked all the hoses and does not seem any leaks. I have not check the exhaust for smell or steam going out the back end.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you start spending money...make sure your system is bled properly

Old 08-17-2011, 11:29 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by errose2002
I think a head job is probably warranted.

Water pump same time?
Some one wrote that I should replace the cam too since it has 175K on it, in another post that I made some time ago. Valid?

I did notice anti-freeze down on some hoses driver's side near oil pan. But I do not see any issues with the water pump wobbling. I have checked all the hoses and does not seem any leaks. I have not check the exhaust for smell or steam going out the back end.
Any claim is valid really do to your mileage...do you know the history of your disco? Just because you have high miles does not mean it HAS to be replaced...

Old 08-18-2011, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Obviously purge air from the system, and keep an eagle eye on the coolant level (like every time you start up, or at least once a day) until you resolve it. Carry bottled water in the back in case you need some while out on the road.

Think long and hard if you are reaching for a bottle of "stopz leekz" or "mechanic-in-a-jar" (not to be confused with a Jar Head Mechanic) - while these products may provide short term relief, only a small quantity of the product goes to stop the leak, most of the rest settles to the low spot in the cooling system, the lower tubes of the radiator, and you find yourself with a partially clogged radiator, and more over heat problems.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

After you bleed the system, have a coolant pressure test done to 18#'s for at least 15 minutes, this will show you where your leak is, don't just huess.