Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear hatch won't open from outside

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I also use silicon spray, also known as "dry lube".
Every 6 months on all moving parts and door latches and key holes and hood release and...anything that moves it needs to be lubed.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Stupid question.....where exactly do you lube the hood release? Mine is getting tight and I've read about the difficulties when it breaks.

Spray at the 'handle' end of the cable to the extent it is possible to get the lube inside the outer jacket?

Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously....

You guys are really starting to slip. If he can open the door from the rear handle while lifting up on the lock, he needs to replace that little spring that's broken. All the lube in the worlds not fixing that.

The springs like 9 bucks, I replace all 5 in my 96.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Land-Rover-Disco...ht_1000wt_1141

But look at his other sets, and go ahead and get the full kit to do all your doors, cause believe me your going to need them anyways.

It's a 20/30 minute job on the rear hatch, about 2 hours on the other doors. But simple.

Plus, as a bonus, your see how I replaced the rear subs in the truck and why they sound so good.

Last edited by ngarover; 01-27-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ngarover
Seriously....

You guys are really starting to slip. If he can open the door from the rear handle while lifting up on the lock, he needs to replace that little spring that's broken. All the lube in the worlds not fixing that.

But look at his other sets, and go ahead and get the full kit to do all your doors, cause believe me your going to need them anyways.

It's a 20/30 minute job on the rear hatch, about 2 hours on the other doors. But simple.

Plus, as a bonus, your see how I replaced the rear subs in the truck and why they sound so good.
I was hoping you'd chime in! Now why didn't you do this before I bought it?!?!?!
Hey, what is the part I need to get the driver's window to go up the remaining 1/4"? I'll get around to it eventually...

P.S. Don't give up on the '96.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default slight HIJACK

Originally Posted by WaltNYC
Stupid question.....where exactly do you lube the hood release? Mine is getting tight and I've read about the difficulties when it breaks.

Spray at the 'handle' end of the cable to the extent it is possible to get the lube inside the outer jacket?
Spray the part that gets the most exposure to incoming junk, dirt, water, salt, etc... the front latch mechanism itself. lubing the cable sheath is great too but usually the latch where the cable attaches and return spring area is what binds badly.

HIJACK over... Carry on Brandon. See ya on Saturday out in Citrus for some "current conditions" exploration.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
TReK
Received 420 Likes on 351 Posts

Yeah, sorry for the hi-jacking. Thanks Cosmic.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
I was hoping you'd chime in! Now why didn't you do this before I bought it?!?!?!
Hey, what is the part I need to get the driver's window to go up the remaining 1/4"? I'll get around to it eventually...

P.S. Don't give up on the '96.
I'm almost positive its a broken plastic roller in there. Pop the door panel off and look at the rollers with a light, I bet you see the problem. Then do a search here, there is a couple good write ups on how to fix it, it sounds easy enough, one guy bought everything he needed at lowes for a couple bucks. A also believe there is someone making steel replacement rollers, that you never have to worry about again... While your in there anyways, go ahead and replace that spring. just get the set of 5. replace them as you work on things. you'll thank yourself in the end. It an extremely common issue with these trucks.

The rear door spring broke literally days before you bought it, or I would have fixed it. Things like that drive me nuts. The window was working and finally gave up the ghost about 2 days before the spring... It was one of those weeks.

I should never have sold that truck... why didn't you just buy the 96....

Old 01-28-2011, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ngarover
Seriously....

Damn NGA....I was so excited that I knew an answer for once I didn't read past that it wouldn't open from the outside!

Mine IS a '96, and I love it. PO did not do a great job taking care of it so I had some catching up to do. But once that was done its been great.

Good luck!