Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rear left door wont open

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:15 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear left door wont open

The door was opening and closing fine for as long as i have had the disco, but now out of the blue after some mudding it wont open. It seems to lock and unlock ok, but it wont open. From what i have read it could be the lock actuator or something like that. Or i could try lubricating it, but how do i open the door to be able to lube it?

Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I assume you have tried from the inside too.
There is a rod that goes from the inside/outside handles to the latch, that rid can come unhooked from the latch inside the door.
Usually there is some warning before hand, like the handle needs to be pulled farther than normal to open the door.
You are going to have to remove the inner door panel, thats going to be hard but doable.
Remove the inner door handle (the thing you use to close the door) and then the inside door release.
You can then pull the door panel away from the door, the door panel fits inside the cabin so the door jamb will not stop you, but it will be difficult.
Good luck.
If you really dont want to mess with it take it to a body shop.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Mudding

I have the same problem and I plan on tackling it this weekend. If I am successful and haven't broken anything I'll take pictures and explain the process.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

The door panels are made of structural foam, use plastic upholstery tools or a putty knife and be gentle, the plastic fasteners will rip out easily. You may want to look over these pages from the RAVE shop manual that cover the process.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
D1 rear door panel.pdf (800.6 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-15-2013 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
The door panels are made of structural foam, use plastic upholstery tools or a putty knife and be gentle, the plastic fasteners will rip out easily. You may want to look over these pages from the RAVE shop manual that cover the process.
The door panels pop off pretty easily once you know where all the fasteners are. In my experience the most annoying part is getting the handle screws back in when you're done!

Old 03-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never tried it this way myself but, can you take the window seal at the top of the panel off first?

That would make things alot easier.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for your help guys, but the next morning i was able to open it. Since then it has opened and closed just fine so im not really sure what happend.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I can tell you exactly what happened, it was cold, possibly frozen, sun warmed it up and now it works, but soon it will break.
I had this exact same problem on my drivers door, hand to pull the handle farther than normal to open the door, it's winter, "I'll take care of it in the spring"
Below zero temps, cant open door, have to climb over center console to get in and out.
First "warm" day I had to remove the door panel and adjust the latch.
If you remove the door panel you can adjust the inside door release handle, there are two slide screws, loosen them, slide the handle forward, tighten screws, test, the handle should be firm and open the door within the first few cm's of movement.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same door for me. Mine you have to pull the handle out and then convince the door it's supposed to come open. Rarely used so I've never messed with it. Considered going Dukes of Hazzard and welding it shut and kicking out the windows. But... I'm not that hardcore.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by jdhuegel1
Same door for me. Mine you have to pull the handle out and then convince the door it's supposed to come open. Rarely used so I've never messed with it. Considered going Dukes of Hazzard and welding it shut and kicking out the windows. But... I'm not that hardcore.
Lube is your friend. Pop the panels and lube all the mechanism contact points.