Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Replacement fuel pump issues. Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012 | 01:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gulfcoastgorilla
You know any website with one under 300 dollars. I payed 118.00 for the one without the two plugs at autopartswarehouse.con
That is part of your problem. You are buying parts on price alone. Unless you know exactly what you need you cannot do that.
If you found a advanced evap fuel pump assembly for $300 you found a steal and you need to buy it.
www.atlanticbritish.com and read the tech tips at the bottom of the page.

Old 04-14-2012 | 05:35 PM
|
Three Wheeling

The late 80's chevy model has 2 plugs?

Old 04-14-2012 | 06:22 PM
Team Owner

The late 80's chevy model has 2 plugs?
You are not understanding what he means.

Per forum member Antichrist, AC Delco EP241 is the actual pump part number. Strainer is a Delco TS7.
So go to the auto parts store and ask for those things.

Old 04-14-2012 | 06:36 PM

I still maintain the best course of action is the ProLine from RN. It is a straight drop in replacement. They stock both versions. The AEL is considerably more, but then you get the whole assembly and no issues with the individual pump, trying to get it together just right and hoping it does not come apart with you in use.

The pump is designed to ride up and down on those metal posts as fuel level drops and rises when yu refill the tank. The little plastic hoses are made to compress when the level rises and extend as the level drops. If you use plain hoses and clamps, you cannot replicate that feature.

Will a bare replacement Airtex work - yes. Will the hoses blow off if the clamp is not just right - YES. Will the hose length be an issue - Quite possibly.

That is why I recommend the complete Fuel Pump Assembly.

You will not find any new equivalent that is a straight drop in replacement at a lower price. But it is yours, so you decide for yourself.

If the place you got it from gives you any grief about return, inform them they are wrong about it being correct.

Your other alternative is to check with Will Tillery or Paul Grant for a good used one.

Other than that, a U Pull It, but that is taking a bigger chance.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-14-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-14-2012 | 06:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I still maintain the best course of action is the ProLine from RN. It is a straight drop in replacement. They stock both versions. The AEL is considerably more, but then you get the whole assembly and no issues with the individual pump, trying to get it togther just right and hoping it does not come apart with you in use.

The pump is designed to ride up and down on those metal posts as fuel level drops and rises when yu refill the tank. The little plastic hoses are made to compress when the level rises and extend as the level drops. If you use plain hoses and clamps, you cannot replicate that feature.

Will a bare replacement Airtex work - yes. Will the hoses blow off if the clamp is not just right - YES. Will the hose length be an issue - Quite possibly.

That is why I recommend the complete Fuel Pump Assembly.

You will not find any new equivalent that is a straight drop in replacement at a lower price. But it is yours, so you decide for yourself.

If the place you got it from gives you any grief about return, inform them they are wrong about it being correct.

Your other alternative is to check with Will Tillery or Paul Grant for a good used one.

Other than that, a U Pull It, but that is taking a bigger chance.
You and I are on the same page Danny.

Old 04-14-2012 | 07:07 PM

My experiences on my Discovery are just about every time I attempt a "cheap fix" it never really works as well as I need it to, waste time and money, it leads to more problems at an even worse time or place or both.

I have learned to do some research, check the primary players as far as price and availability, and go with the correct item the first time around. A whole lot less frustration.

Could you imagine the problem it would be if that little feed hose blew off in the middle of a long trip in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere? I am too old to deal with that kind of fix.

Old 04-14-2012 | 07:09 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
You are not understanding what he means.

Per forum member Antichrist, AC Delco EP241 is the actual pump part number. Strainer is a Delco TS7.
So go to the auto parts store and ask for those things.
Your right I still don't understand sir. I am sorry. I am just a college student trying to make it with this rover for another year or so. I just don't have the 500 it's gonna cost for the aec

Old 04-14-2012 | 08:02 PM

We understand your situation. Here is the link for the ProLine from RN:

Rovers North - The Source for Classic Land Rover Parts - DISCOVERY FUEL TANK PUMP AND SENDER

It is $399, the LR version is $499.

Another option is the guys who buy and disassemble Land Rovers. Will Tillery and Paul Grant are two such gentlemen. Check with them.

If that does not work, buy the Airtex Pump. It is just the small internal pump unit. You would remove the old one from yours and install the new one. If everything else is good, this will be your cheapest alternative for a new pump. You would hook it up with all the rest of your existing Assembly. That way you are reusing your housing, sending unit and the two exiting connectors. You may be able to very carefully disassemble the existing clear plastic expandable tubes at the pump end and not have to deal with new tubes, but I am not totally sure. Maybe you can find new tubes, but I doubt it would be easy to find.

Also if someone on here is parting out the correct version of a DI, you may be able to buy their fuel pump assembly, (that is what the entire unit is called).

Fuel Pump is just the internal pump. Do not forget about that little filter bag. Hope this helps you understand a little better what us old Rover Guys are talking about.

If this flips you out, you may need to consider selling your Disco and buying something simpler. Not trying to be mean or anything, just being realistic. The Discovery is not really an ideal car to cheaply maintain forthe average college student. Try doing it on Social Security, even more of a challenge.

Both Savannah Buzz and myself spent several years as struggling college students. So we understand your pain.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 04-14-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-14-2012 | 08:34 PM
Team Owner

Your right I still don't understand sir. I am sorry. I am just a college student trying to make it with this rover for another year or so. I just don't have the 500 it's gonna cost for the aec
The wrong pump assembly that you bought...put it in your truck, it will work just fine.
The second plug is for the emissions system.

Old 04-14-2012 | 09:29 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Well everyone. Thank you for your help. I ended up using the inside guts of the new one and deposited it into the old canister. Bad boy fired right up.

Quick Reply: Replacement fuel pump issues. Please help!