Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rust. Bad. Thoughts? (Warning, not for the squeamish)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caveat Emptor always applies to Rover purchases.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What about this one free shipping world wide!

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

Old 04-05-2012, 09:09 PM

What about this one free shipping world wide!

Land Rover Discovery 1 Boot Floor Repair Panel Kit | eBay

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Winching

If you must go the Harbor Freight route, consider one of the following:

MIG / Flux Wire Welder with Wheels - 120 Amp

170 Amp MIG/Flux Wire Welder

You'll also want an auto-darkening hood, welding gloves, and welding pliers. All of those can be had cheaply at HF, although much nicer gloves can be had at a local welding supply store for around $30. I use a Harbor Freight hood and it's an excellent value, comfortable, works as well as $200+ hoods, and cost me $35 after coupons. Look in Reader's Digest for HF coupons. You'll have to rent shielding gas canisters from a local supplier.

The main problem with cheaper welders is their low duty cycle. Both of the welders above are only rated at a 20% duty cycle, meaning for every 10 minutes you can only be running wire for 2, otherwise the machine will overheat.

Considering you'll probably only buy a MIG welder once in your life, and you'll use it on countless projects you haven't even dreamed of yet, consider getting a quality tool. It will pay for itself eventually, and it will be so much more pleasant to use.

A Miller can be had for under $700.

Miller 907335 Millermatic 140 Mig Welding Package w/ Auto Set

If that's steep, a basic Lincoln can be had for about $300.

Lincoln Electric K2185-1 Handy Mig 115/1/61

There are tons of other good brands, but those are two of the most common. Tons of people use the Harbor Freight equipment, and it is adequate for very light use. You'd probably be okay for this project, but if you get more serious about welding you'll have to upgrade at some point.

Just my $.02.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
As long as you've got steel at the edge that's good, you could make a flange there and affix the new material to that.
What would constitute "good"? It sucks that the pic focused on the seat instead of the floor, but what you see there (other than those orange edge areas) is the result of wire sanding, hitting firmly it with a ball peen hammer, vacuum, sand, hit, vacuum, etc. until **** stopped chipping off. Is that strong enough?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:31 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
What would constitute "good"? It sucks that the pic focused on the seat instead of the floor, but what you see there (other than those orange edge areas) is the result of wire sanding, hitting firmly it with a ball peen hammer, vacuum, sand, hit, vacuum, etc. until **** stopped chipping off. Is that strong enough?
For the purposes of welding, you should take an angle grinder to it and see if you can get down to shiny metal. In other words, does the rust end, or is it corroded all the way through? If you can grind down to shiny metal, you can weld to it.

I should note here that you will likely need days or weeks worth of practice with thin metal to master it. Watch tons of tutorials online, and ask lots of questions here. Also helps if you have a friend who can coach you a bit, but with enough reading and practice you could teach yourself.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mountain Goat
For the purposes of welding, you should take an angle grinder to it and see if you can get down to shiny metal. In other words, does the rust end, or is it corroded all the way through? If you can grind down to shiny metal, you can weld to it.

I should note here that you will likely need days or weeks worth of practice with thin metal to master it. Watch tons of tutorials online, and ask lots of questions here. Also helps if you have a friend who can coach you a bit, but with enough reading and practice you could teach yourself.
Thanks for all this info BTW. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom about this stuff.

I did a little research about it today. From what Ive read/seen its one of those skills that until you get the hang of it, you arent gonna get good results.

In light of that, do you think I should just go with the rivet and seal route?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by pinkytoe69
Thanks for all this info BTW. I really appreciate you taking the time to share your wisdom about this stuff.

I did a little research about it today. From what Ive read/seen its one of those skills that until you get the hang of it, you arent gonna get good results.

In light of that, do you think I should just go with the rivet and seal route?
You really could learn. MIG is one of the easiest processes ever invented. It would take concerted effort and some patience, but if you are asking if it's worth learning how to weld, the answer is yes. Not only will you use the skill for personal projects, but you can make a nice bit of money with side projects if you so desire.

If you're in no hurry with the Disco, I'd say consider figuring out how to weld it, that will yield the best results. It will take practice, but what worthwhile skill doesn't?

If you're in a hurry or don't have the patience, then rivets, fiberglass, grinding, and POR-15 will get you by. Just know that it will never be a permanent or ideal solution.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:06 PM

You cannot go wrong with either a Miller or a Lincoln Welder, far better than HG, lightyears better.

A few other considerations depening on your area.
Watch the paper for Auctions, especially industrial type for good tools and things like welders. Even estate or farm auctions greeat source for high quality equipment at bargain prices.

Are there any vocational schools near you. Here they offer things like free labor for senior citizens and other locals, you pay for parts only.

I may even sign up for a course just to have use of their facilities.

Welding is one of those things that most people can gain some level of skill with practice. You start by learning to lay a bead on small projects/ scrap pieces/ and build your skill set.

Do some reading, watch some videos.

Also there are some excellent strength adhesives available but what is already corroded has to be removed as well as possible.

My son is in his second year as a Certified Welding Inspector doing things like power plant outages, steel mill repair work on huge equipment like ladles, piping, boilers, and related items mostly huge scale.

He started by running a grinder for the inspector to be able to see the weld.

His big boss is my wife's cousin Frank who has about 40 years combined experience starting as a welder at a Cement Mill, working as a Contract Inspector and Consultant up to a Director of Maint for Arco Chemical. He took a voluntary layoff three years ago to save two guys under him and returned to Contract Consulting and Inspection Services Management.

Welding is oe of those critical skills that severely reduced in numbers in the last couple of decades but will be in greater demand as this country rebuilds it's infrastructure and a damn good skill to have.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Winching

Danny Lee, since you mention vocational schools, many schools replace their welding equipment on a regular schedule. They use high-dollar machines, and surplus them when they are no longer state-of-the-art. Taking a course to have access to equipment is a great idea, that's what I've been doing for the last several semesters. But short of that, it may be worth asking schools if/when they will be selling off used equipment.

Quick Reply: Rust. Bad. Thoughts? (Warning, not for the squeamish)