Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Rust Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the only amount of rust you got? Thats about the same I have on my Disco, and I consider it pristine!! I would say you walked away with a good deal for sure. This summer, I would recommend that you take all that bedliner stuff off, and thoroughly go through your truck (from bottom, and from top). Take out the carpets and look underneath the rubber and foam pieces, dry everything, fix rust as needed then re bedline everything.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:16 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by greenharoguy
Thats the only amount of rust you got? Thats about the same I have on my Disco, and I consider it pristine!! I would say you walked away with a good deal for sure. This summer, I would recommend that you take all that bedliner stuff off, and thoroughly go through your truck (from bottom, and from top). Take out the carpets and look underneath the rubber and foam pieces, dry everything, fix rust as needed then re bedline everything.

I am def going to do that as soon as it gets warmer.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:29 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I've got the same rust "problem" as you, only not as bad, it is going to get fixed.
Rear door arches first, then the windshield frame.
You stole that truck, put the money into it and you will have a very nice truck that will last you as long as you want it.

Old 02-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
I've got the same rust "problem" as you, only not as bad, it is going to get fixed.
Rear door arches first, then the windshield frame.
You stole that truck, put the money into it and you will have a very nice truck that will last you as long as you want it.

I agree

Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Mudding

Glad I found this thread beacause I am in the process of learning how to weld so I can fix the rust spots. And by "learning how to weld" I mean, reading a book because I can't afford a welding class right now. I guess you could say trial by fire when I do attempt my first weld. I am very inspired to by this thread and It is great to see people trying to keep his or her disco on the road. Oh and yes I have quite a few rust spots myself. The most prominant one is a nice hole near the driverside footwell by the clutch which continues onto the body support mount ohhh no!!!!! . I have a decent amount of work ahead of me. When I do get to welding and restoring I will post many many pics just as soon as the weather takes a turn for the warmer!!!

Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco28
Glad I found this thread beacause I am in the process of learning how to weld so I can fix the rust spots. And by "learning how to weld" I mean, reading a book because I can't afford a welding class right now.

Hey dude, been there done that. Check out my thread from last year.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...part-ii-50945/

good luck

Old 03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rust? What rust?

Anyone whining about rust should see FIATs from the late 70's and 80's!
At least Discovery steel is more dense.
On the FIAT I used "Naval Jelly" from the USA, Can't find it here in Canada so I get it when I visit the States.
Naval Jelly converts the rust and coats it with metal, you know it has done it's work because the rusted area looks bronzish.
neutralize the acid with a good wash with water and carwash detergent then paint with POR15 (it stands for paint on rust)
My old X1/9 is still on the road, I sold it when I got the D1.
Naval Jelly ruins ashfalt, but it's ok on lawn.
POR15... only paint it where you want to, protect everywhere else or you'll have to wear it forever.
I always got good finish by brush, never tried spraying it.
Rhino liner is only good when the surface has been properly prepared: rust converted, totally degreased and then painted with POR15.
For Europe there is a paint heavy on zinc called ZincFroid, there is a distributor in Mississauga Ontario Canada bu only deals with 100 gallons at a time.
SD