Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Screw size question

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 04:47 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screw size question

Discoweb is down, so I figured I'd try here. I'm trying to reassemble my console after rehabbing my auto shifter in my 95 D1. At least half the interior screws are missing. Some are M4-70 and Ive been replacing those pretty easily. There are some however, that are smaller then M4, but the only M3 I can find anywhere are M3-50 and these seem larger than that. Ar these M3.5-70 or what? I will search out a source and buy a box if I can simply find out what it is. I have nothing to compare it to. The RAVE has so far been useless as well. I sort of assumed it would have a detailed parts catalog, but I apprear wrong.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Another possibility, if there is one near you, is a "u-pull-it" salvage yard. Usually they charge a dollar or two for admission, and that covers small screws and such. You also get to learn on some one else's chassis at your own pace. Most of the catalogs I have seen just list major components, not the mounting hardware. Perhaps a member who is familiar with the dealer parts department data base could comment on how detailed their break out is.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

When in doubt take it to Ace and match it up. Compare the new screw by interlocking the threads with the ones on the old screw. When they mesh perfectly you've got a winner!

Old 07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by fishEH
When in doubt take it to Ace and match it up. Compare the new screw by interlocking the threads with the ones on the old screw. When they mesh perfectly you've got a winner!
There are no screws anywhere at any store near me that match, so I think its an M3.5-60 which no one carries (of course). I'm trying to wrestle with about 7 issues that need to be resolved by next Thur so I kinda have run out of time for the wild screw goosechase and I'm just gonna ut it back together with what I have for now.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:42 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Try britishfasteners.com. I think that's the site anyways. I had to get some 3/8-20 bolts from there for the bottom of my diff. British standard fine thread they called it. I've found my Disco is a mutt comprised of three different fastener systems.

Old 07-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Drifting
Default Part of the rover affair...

Originally Posted by fishEH
Try britishfasteners.com. I think that's the site anyways. I had to get some 3/8-20 bolts from there for the bottom of my diff. British standard fine thread they called it. I've found my Disco is a mutt comprised of three different fastener systems.
Tell me about it. I have come across several fasteners in my disco in sizes which are nearly impossible to obtain from domestic retailers or manufacturers.

Let us know if you find the fasteners you seek. I for one will be bookmarking British Fasteners for future needs. Ace/Home Depot/Lowe's/Gigantic faster catalogs have failed me one too many times.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:30 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EkaInfinitos
Tell me about it. I have come across several fasteners in my disco in sizes which are nearly impossible to obtain from domestic retailers or manufacturers.

Let us know if you find the fasteners you seek. I for one will be bookmarking British Fasteners for future needs. Ace/Home Depot/Lowe's/Gigantic faster catalogs have failed me one too many times.
Try working on a Citroen that has SAE, Metric, British, SAE pipe and French pipe threads all on the same vehicle...that was a nightmare. I never knew the French had their own pipe threads.

Old 07-05-2011, 01:53 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blast those French! If it wasn't for them, we'd all be using Whitworth and British Standard Fine, the way it should be! not this bloody French Système international d'unités (metric system) or the bastard Unified system. Whitworth threads are superior in every way. The 55 degree thread angle and sinusoidal threads are stronger than the 60 degree cut-off ISO metric and ANSI unified types and the sizes and pitches make more sense than a stupid decimal system where common fractions and divisions result in ridiculous dimensional specifications. In my mind, the Unified system is the worst of both worlds. They took the inferior French (metric) thread and went bass-ackward to the fractional dimensions when all along there pre-existed a fractional system with superior threads.

Whitworth was first. Everything that came after was inferior. It never made sense to change it. Now we just have confusion and lameness.

I mean, exactly what kind of credibility do the French have in this kind of thing anyway? Paint, cook, politic, but back away from my toolbox!

Ok, I'm done.

Last edited by nevada ben; 07-05-2011 at 01:58 PM.