Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:28 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank

I've never driven to the point of the fuel light coming on, but I do notice the engine seems to work just a little harder than normal when it gets to a quarter tank. Any reason for that? Already put in a fuel injector cleaner at fill up once.

Should I check my fuel injectors, physically and clean them?

I've already changed the fuel filter--which needed changing pretty bad.

OR maybe it's all in my head and really nothing is wrong. I've read these trucks are tempermental, maybe mine is just a little too bitchy.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Get a pressure gauge, and measure pressure on the fuel rail (passenger side, looks like a tire valve). 32-34 PSI expected. Pumps are cooled by the liquid that surrounds them. At low fuel level (only $30 left in the tank) the old pump could be warmed up slighty, and starting to sieze up. Check pressure when running rough, and again when you limp into gas station and pay the hose bandits.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Three Wheeling

^^ what he said. My truck was doing the same thing. My fuel pressure at the rail was 24 PSI. All you need is an air pressure valve. I used an old bike pump, screwed it on..cranked the motor and boom. Changed my fuel filter and pump and its all good to go now.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM
Overlanding

Okay. So I'm not ultra sensitive--something is going on. Will check it out.

Thanks much!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Actually you are in tune with your Rover and may have predicted the next large cash withdrawl from your wallet.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:40 AM
Three Wheeling

I think the fuel filter and pump cost me...$160 total? Not sure, I''ve bought so many Rover parts in the last 2 months I dont even know what I've spent or bought.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

Some replace only the pump motor (Airtex), some buy a good used complete one (model year and emmission system makes a difference) from a dismantler like Paul Grant.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Overlanding

Thanks again. On the fence on purchasing the entire fuel pump or just the motor. Going to see what I have to deal with first. I'll try to report on the status.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Overlanding
Default Follow Up

Well...

I checked the valve running along the fuel rail this past weekend, when I had a full tank and a fuel injector cleaner in it (second time). The pressure according to a digital gauge was 35 psi.

Not trusting the reading, I decided to lift the cargo carpet and begin the arduous task of prepping a for a new fuel pump or fuel assembly. to my surprise I found this:

Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank-l1110395.jpg
Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank-l1110400.jpg
THe only rust was around the screws.
Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank-l1110403.jpg

Today, I bought a tire pressure gauge, yes, Harbor Freight—whatever, it was $6. This time I wanted to test against the initial full tank reading.
Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank-photo.jpg

I had less than half a tank—approaching a quarter maybe at a quater of fuel (again, feeling the car running a little rough).

This tire gauge confirmed an acceptable psi, albeit, two different instrument-type readings. Yet, I'm almost confident I'll get the same reading with the tire gauge at a full tank. This would naturally lead me to hypothesize the fuel pressure is good and the pump runs fine.

However, being that the fuel assembly--while looking clean and non-brittle on all connections--seems to work, could the pump still be dying? Or, should I start to focus on something else?

I should also mention that this "rough" feeling I get from the engine seems to emanate under and around me (US, left driver side). I can feel it in the steering wheel. And it happens when I tend to left off the gas and coast to a rolling stop or slow down.

Cel light also came on P0446.

Last edited by 120proof; 08-28-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:18 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Evaporative emissions, probably a failed purge valve on the canister.

You sure it's a P0446? Anyways the P04XX codes are for the evap system and if it's flooding the engine with fumes, sucking the fuel tank in, or just not working your truck would run rough. Seriously, good job getting that far in 9 posts. Now you just need to fix it.

I would check the valve, canister and tank for obvious damage to pipes, connections, mud, bugs and that sort of thing. Go through the system and fix what's obvious and see if the light goes out. Look at your fuel tank the next time the truck is running rough, look for it sucking the sides in. Open your fuel cap as well to see if air is rushing in or out. Keep posting what you find.

Quick Reply: Slightly Rougher Ride at a Quarter Tank