Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CUpgt
Picked up the rover with the new winch bumper and sliders. Now its time to paint!
LOVE IT!

My favorite part is the dimple-die stamped lower section of the bumper. Where is the winch mounting? If it goes on that top section I'm surprised they did an intermittent weld like that. Looks great overall, very pretty welds.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welds on the side of the winch plate are solid. I trust the guy that built it.
Name:  roverbumper.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  99.3 KB
Check out his website and custom chassis. T.G. Chassis. He has been building buggies for 15 years plus and said if it breaks bring it back to him. Sliders are beast too.
Name:  sliderbrace.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  96.3 KB

Old 04-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, beautiful welds. Mine only look that good once in a blue moon. The side welds will pick up most of the shear force so it makes sense that they are solid. I'd trust a pro too, I just have this problem of analyzing fabricated things. Are there any gussets underneath the winch plate? Can't tell if that's 3/16" or 1/4" plate.

Is that just a straight tube section for the sliders? I like how it bolts to the frame. That is so much simpler than the design I had in my head. Now I may have to build some after all. Are you going to wait until later to drill the winch mounting holes?

Last edited by Mountain Goat; 04-06-2012 at 11:28 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:38 AM
Pro Wrench

well i'm stealing one of your designs for sure. of course i'll give props and tokens for sure. both look great. i didn't really like round tube until this one. sliders look great too. really nice.

Old 04-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Sliders are straight. Not as pretty as the curved ones but purpose built and much cheaper. Just straight 3/16 wall 2x2. Not sure on the thickness of the plate. Ill have to measure it. Its pretty beefy though. I don't have a winch yet so im gonna wait til I get one before drilling holes.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Creativty is all it takes

There are a lot of new members here which is good. It brings new ideas and skill sets and a variety of great experience.

My Discovery (MEANDEROVER) Meander Over - not Mean De Rover- or it could be Me And De Rover but since I plan to basically Meander Over Anything I want To with It, is also totally gutted inside except for front seats and the dash and is a project in work.

I made a new console from a Wooden Cutty Sark Case that was in my wife's grandparents home (that we now own) in the garage for over fifty years. I liked it because of all the authetic intact lettering regarding Her Majesty The Queen and the associated artwork that was used in those days before cardboard. It even has the padded top from the original console mounted on the front half (rotated 90 degrees so that it opens toward the passenger).

The window switches are mounted on the front of the case. The seat switches are mounted inside it uder the lid on each side, seat heater switches too. All very convient.

The rear half has a hinged lid signed by all my grandkids, as I plan to take them to some interesting places in it and they are already claiming it as their own.

I recently started recycling metals and such when the opportunity presents itself. Tax free and the items themselves are pretty much free. Just some gas and some heavy lifting at times.

With the rear of the vehicle empty, it will hold a lot if you are careful with the loading. Weight has not been an issue either since I have the Heavy Duty OME springs on the rear. It rides good with a heavy load.

To maximize the scrap amount you receive, segregation of copper and aluminum and stainless is critcal. I have become very good at tearing things down since I had a long career in assembling complex items like the Cruise Missile (1000 in a ten year period from 1983-1993) and various other projects I worked on over the years.

I have also managed to set aside several items that can be easily incorporated into MEANDEROVER as desired. But with the idea of easy installation and removal.

One of you mentioned drawers and drawer slides. One item I scrapped was a very large Brinkman Gas Grill that a neighbor was throwing away. It was huge, with lots of Stainless Steel including a nice insulated sink/cooler with a lid and drain made in. This will fit in the right rear corner (passenger side), in front of the window, with a drain cut into the floor and sliding stainless steel doors under the sink. A self-draining beer cooler built in. Every Discovery should have one.

I have already mounted a 50 caliber ammo box in the left rear corner attached to the floor for jack and tool storage. 4way lug wrench attached to the sidewall with spring clips, very handy.

I kept the square tubing frame pieces and a large stainless steel drawer that I can mount to the floor with brackets right in the center of the rear, with space under the drawer and a table top surface on the top of the drawer and still have the majority of thespace open. Center seats still bolt in and out as needed. Even with all the stuff in the rear.

Also some more stainless panels to box out the right corner for additional storage with sliding doors to close it off.

I would like to remove the rear door and make a replacement that would offer more flexability. Possibly like a gull wing hinged at the top, or a multi-piece either top and bottom like a tailgate and a lift panel hinged atthe top or a Barn Door Arrangement like the older Surburbans had.

You could even do slide out rails at the top that could support tent panels or awings for camping with a fold down bed for those sweet trips to some backwoods fishing hole.

Slang, still looking to buy a good camera or just get some new mini cd's for my old Sony Mavica. I do love to take pics, it's been a while.

Every time I scrape some money together, one of my sons or grandkids seems to need something special. I told my wife, she has to learn to say NO to them, not me. No No Hell NO!

I may have to grab my little aluminum ladder and go dumpster diving again. It is amazing what they throw out when places remodel. Macy's gave me several loads of stuff when they redid their store at the nearby mall (it was the site of the cult movie Night of the Living Dead).

Old 04-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Would like to know more about those sliders. Especailly how they are mounted.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:38 PM

Slang, have you decided how to address the rust thru around the Alpine windows? I need to fix mine as well.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
My Discovery (MEANDEROVER) Meander Over - not Mean De Rover- or it could be Me And De Rover but since I plan to basically Meander Over Anything I want To with It, is also totally gutted inside except for front seats and the dash and is a project in work.
I figured you were referencing it's natural tendency to meander all over the road...

Old 04-06-2012, 02:54 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Slang, have you decided how to address the rust thru around the Alpine windows? I need to fix mine as well.
it's roofline up repair.

so, i started with the caulk because I will paint over it with the KBS paint later. it will turn into a hard glasslike shell. water will run right over it.

now i'm going to pull the alpines and sunroofs. fug.

then i'm gonna grind/treat/kbs paint/fill/sand/paint and put the alpines and sunroofs back. i'm gonna hit the seals hard with marine caulk and hope for the best on leakage. i plan to get the headliner back in one day but am gonna paint it not fabric it as i'll probably have to take it out again one day.

sounds a little mel brooks in style but i got my system from the floor and i like the way it turned out.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?