Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cut out the soaking wet carpet padding in the front floor boards and was pleased to find no rust. Also replaced my rear sunroof. First time its worked since I've owned the truck. Pretty straight forward job and I didn't even have to remove my rack. Now if the rain will hold off enough to swap out the front and I'll have 2 working sunroofs that don't leak!

Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went to the dealership for a new fob (of which, when I bought the car, I was only given keys). $314 later (one new key fob), now I'm really itching to fix the actuators myself. I love I can open everything remotely, but hate that I still have to insert my key just a quarter way to get the door fully open.

Hopefully, this will be the last time I will need to go to the dealership--for anything. Though I do LOVE their garage.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

No pics to post yet but I finally replaced the radiator, upper/lower hoses, another hose, water pump, tstat (but swapping this again for lower temp unit), & installed electric fan in place of viscous clutch fan (still experimenting with this). Also removed sagging/nasty hood liner, removed windscreen washer bottle to prep for toubleshooting non working sprayers.

Need to do tie rods though, they're in rough shape....to the point where I'm nervous driving more than short trips. Figuring I ought to upgrade so what are the recommended upgrades? I have ~2" lift now, not sure what the kit is exactly, running 32's. Eventually I'll relocate the steering damper but prefer to not do that right now. Any recommendations on HD tie rod kits/brands is much appreciated.

Will try to find any LR's at junkyards over the next week and go part picking.

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

For HD steering you have RockWare, RTE, and TerraFirma. You might as well relocate the steering damper now because the stock location won't work well with HD rods.

Originally Posted by RacerX
No pics to post yet but I finally replaced the radiator, upper/lower hoses, another hose, water pump, tstat (but swapping this again for lower temp unit), & installed electric fan in place of viscous clutch fan (still experimenting with this). Also removed sagging/nasty hood liner, removed windscreen washer bottle to prep for toubleshooting non working sprayers.

Need to do tie rods though, they're in rough shape....to the point where I'm nervous driving more than short trips. Figuring I ought to upgrade so what are the recommended upgrades? I have ~2" lift now, not sure what the kit is exactly, running 32's. Eventually I'll relocate the steering damper but prefer to not do that right now. Any recommendations on HD tie rod kits/brands is much appreciated.

Will try to find any LR's at junkyards over the next week and go part picking.

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Stock damper works fine with TF HD rods. The rod even has a groove machined into it for the included TF bracket.

I removed mine and was planning to replace it, but I've been on and off road since and hardly notice a difference.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I like that nifty upwardly routed one that CUpgt has....Rover Tracks brand which I guess is no longer a thing? I'm starting to wonder if I ought to just make my own, seems pretty simple plus I could just heim joints instead of ball joints. I'm less than impressed with the cost of these items from my initial investigation. I may just replace with stock for the time being til I might have time to make my own.

Already considering same with rear swing arms (or whatever they're called, not down with LR vernacular yet).

Cheers.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:00 PM
Pro Wrench

Picked up this bad boy from Southeast Overland. 10w 900 lumen LED flood patern. Should make a nice work light on the back of the rack.
Name:  photobucket-4984-1377201400352_zpseda27ef9.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  102.8 KB

Old 08-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerX
I like that nifty upwardly routed one that CUpgt has....Rover Tracks brand which I guess is no longer a thing? I'm starting to wonder if I ought to just make my own, seems pretty simple plus I could just heim joints instead of ball joints. I'm less than impressed with the cost of these items from my initial investigation. I may just replace with stock for the time being til I might have time to make my own.

Already considering same with rear swing arms (or whatever they're called, not down with LR vernacular yet).

Cheers.
I wouldn't put heims in. I just got away from heims after three different ones failed within a year on my Panhard rod.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Pro Wrench

Call Justin at Lucky 8. QH greasable TREs are like 18 a piece.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New wipers all around, new air filter, new headlight bulbs. Cleaned the MAF (slightly dirty), cleaned the IAC valve (kinda narsty), cleaned the PCV canister thing (holy sh*t ugodly filthy).

There was a definite seat of the pants difference in power after the cleaning session, and idle was far better. BTW I highly recommend 3M Hi Power brake parts cleaner for cleaning non-sensitive items. It blasts away carbon better than anything else Ive used. It is $5.69 a can, however. But Sometimes NAPA has it on sale for $2.79, so I buy a couple cases.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?