Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff in Tucson
I've only had the beastie about a week and a half and finally got the chance to see what kind of ride it has off-road... WOW! The only other 4WD that I've had was a 4WD Isuzu mini pick-up about 15 years ago. It was rough as hell off-road. This Disco is oh, so, SMOOTH! I think that I'm in love, baby... oh, yeah.

Taken after a run to the bank after work. Redington Pass on the East end of Tucson, Arizona. 4:45 pm. No airing down of tires or anything, just driven out and let loose. 188,000 miles. Single owner, prior to me (bought it for $2800). Well maintained. 1999 Discovery Series 1. I put the black hood skin on yesterday. Bumpers, rack and winch coming soon! =)

You got a very nice rover there. One of the best D1 models to get. Love the lack of sunroofs.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Got one of my trailing arms mounted.
Frame mount

Backing plate

Frame mount with arm

Looking back

Flush mount zerk installed, should be pretty well protected

Old 10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Not pink.......,but purdy!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:03 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
This is similar to what I had in mind as I was thinking of designs for these, really wanted to get rid of that poke the hole front mount set up. Looks nice. Do you think the straight arms provide plenty of clearance vs bent type?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RacerX
This is similar to what I had in mind as I was thinking of designs for these, really wanted to get rid of that poke the hole front mount set up. Looks nice. Do you think the straight arms provide plenty of clearance vs bent type?
I wouldn't bother reworking the radius arms unless you're installing a 3-link. The frame mount isn't the limiting factor on the radius arms, its the bushing bind at the axle end. You'll see much better results from installing slotted poly-bushings at the axle end than you will by changing the frame mounts.

The bent(cranked) trailing arms aren't for clearance, actually. When a truck is lifted the axle is pushed down. This means the frame bushing is under more stess(binding) than on a stock height truck. The cranked arms restore the angle at which the arms enter the bushings back to stock. A side effect is that they are tucked up out of the way more.
I'm not worried about mine being exposed more than the cranked arms.
My trailing arms are made from .25" wall, 2.0" OD DOM. The joints are 1.25" shank.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:12 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bother reworking the radius arms unless you're installing a 3-link. The frame mount isn't the limiting factor on the radius arms, its the bushing bind at the axle end. You'll see much better results from installing slotted poly-bushings at the axle end than you will by changing the frame mounts.

The bent(cranked) trailing arms aren't for clearance, actually. When a truck is lifted the axle is pushed down. This means the frame bushing is under more stess(binding) than on a stock height truck. The cranked arms restore the angle at which the arms enter the bushings back to stock. A side effect is that they are tucked up out of the way more.
I'm not worried about mine being exposed more than the cranked arms.
My trailing arms are made from .25" wall, 2.0" OD DOM. The joints are 1.25" shank.
Ok, cool, more good info. So you now have your previous set available right? ; )

Old 10-24-2013, 09:44 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by RacerX
Ok, cool, more good info. So you now have your previous set available right? ; )
I will. I only installed one side of the new trailing arms last night. Should have the other done within the week. Then I'll clean up the RoverTracks ones, take some pics, and let you know.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed my custom 6 degree cranked radius arms. Man I should have done that along time ago! Truck rides a lot better and the pinion angle is right where it needs to be. Orange polys on both ends with slotted bushings up front for improved flex. I also tracked down a clanking noise to a slightly loose panhard bolt and a loose front shock bolt. All is smooooooth and quiet now!
Name:  IMAG0044_zpseeeea75a.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  92.2 KB
Pinion before: Hard to see without the DS connected but it was pointing up above TC output flange
Name:  photobucket-48689-1376869936886_zpsf8c9012c.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  102.6 KB
Pinion now: Almost perfectly in line for the DC shaft
Name:  IMAG0045_zpsa64d46d2.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  70.7 KB

Old 10-24-2013, 09:30 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

definitely would like to know how well this set up works out. been thinking of doing for awhile. just concerned on how the axle will stay located under the truck at higher speeds. if the upper locating arm on axle will be fine with the ball joint. also it looks pretty strong, but the front mounting looks like it could be a weak spot. I could be wrong as I am no structural engineer. Would you mind keeping us informed after its been put through some stresses of offroading and street driving?

Old 10-24-2013, 11:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by We-go-up
definitely would like to know how well this set up works out. been thinking of doing for awhile. just concerned on how the axle will stay located under the truck at higher speeds. if the upper locating arm on axle will be fine with the ball joint. also it looks pretty strong, but the front mounting looks like it could be a weak spot. I could be wrong as I am no structural engineer. Would you mind keeping us informed after its been put through some stresses of offroading and street driving?
I'm running a very similar set up. My mounts aren't as beefed up as Brett's but that's planned now. Handling is no effected at all. I have a fixed axle end with poly bushings. A few shots of grease every now and again and it has held up off road and at highway speeds

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?