Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 11:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default injector cleaner in filler vents

My 98 LE has taken gas extremely slowly since I got it and today I found a thread “gas tank problem” in the archives about burping/leaking gas fillers that said the vent tubes on either side of the filler neck get clogged with varnish and can be cleaned by pouring injector cleaner down them. ( Some folks also had leaking problems due to cracked hoses and others say there was a recall on the tank and filler and to call the dealer with your VIN to see if yours was done.)

I rigged an oil mixing syringe with a short piece of oxygen hose to fit in the little vent holes and poured half a bottle of Valvoline injector cleaner and most of a can of Seafoam down them. (partial containers I had on hand) . I thought about spraying carb cleaner in them through the little straw, but decided it might be too strong and went with the recommended fix. Hope next fill up will go faster.

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-9-7-14-injector-cleaner-filler-vent-tubes-1-.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-9-7-14-injector-cleaner-filler-vent-tubes-2-.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-9-7-14-injector-cleaner-filler-vent-tubes-3-.jpg  
Old 09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Hey I offered 500 first oh well
:idk:

cleaned it up today, added a bumper. needs a fuel pump but turns over eagerly.

Name:  yAIGdJW.png
Views: 12
Size:  1.99 MB

Old 09-07-2014, 05:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MM3846
:idk:

cleaned it up today, added a bumper. needs a fuel pump but turns over eagerly.

Wow nice score for 5 bills!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought two RTE diff guards, they come in tomorrow. Where the heck am I supposed to weld them at?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
Wow nice score for 5 bills!
the body is clean, it is for sure a pretty truck from 10 ft away. paint looks to be in really good shape. but there is a good amount of rust underneath. its gonna need front floor repair, rocker repair, and both fenders under the rear doors. has a ~2.5" lift, but you can't tell what brand bc the shocks are completely rusted over. it wasn't worth a penny more than 500 in the shape we picked it up in.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
I bought two RTE diff guards, they come in tomorrow. Where the heck am I supposed to weld them at?
Should be pretty evident when you hold them up to the diffs.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been a few months since I've posted. Have done several things since...

New tires - 235/86/16 Nankang M/T's. Paid $145 a piece shipped via Amazon. Have only tried them on one trail, handled really well. Some howling when I drive, but doesn't really bother me.
Rear driveshaft conversion from rotoflex to u-joint. Really was an easy little project that I knocked out today in about 2 hours.
Changed out the main radiator hose (the 3 way one) after discovering mine was leaking a bit from the base of the reservoir.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
Think there is a pic in my thread somewhere

Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changed the transfer case fluid today and resealed the inspection cover guess whoever did it last used bad RTV because I was able to clean the majority of it off with a paper towel the rest came off with a scotch brite. started to change the diff fluid as well, but the transfer pump I was using exploded when I hooked it to the gallon jug so Ill just pick up another one later in the week.

Also new tires came in recently, Irok ND 285/75r16 will take some pictures after I get them mounted on Wednesday.
Lastly I was able to rewire my winch since my last solenoid box went up in flames I picked up a Superwinch Tigershark Contactor as well as winch control handle and it works great respooled my winch with some yellow amsteel blue line. I plan to mount the new plug in the cab somewhere and just use the controller instead of worrying about hard-mounting a switch.
Finally, my new plates came in too
Pics:

Old 09-08-2014, 01:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

Found something interesting while searching for debris between the condenser. hoping this is not only the reason for my high temps but the reason the previous owner removed the thermostat completely. I guess I can assume it's scaly inside as well I guess.

Last edited by Shiftonthefly1; 09-08-2014 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?