Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 08:03 AM
Baja
Received 227 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by M3g474rd
Not something I did but any advice?

Got a flickering oil light due to old oil being too thin. Am going to do a oil change and am curious as to what weight I should run. Right now I have some 5w30 Royal Purple waiting for the next oil change(gonna run some low cost stuff for a bit then change again.) Oh and I live in Southern Oregon which it's supposed to be getting down to round 25-35 at night(when most driving will be done) and 30-45 during the day. So any suggestions would be epic, and sorry if this is in the wrong place. Couldn't find anything on search .

Bobby
You might want to drop the pan and check the oil pickup , or even pull a bearing cap, mine were wiped when I did the rebuild, bearings are cheap

The following users liked this post:
M3g474rd (12-08-2015)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TOM R
You might want to drop the pan and check the oil pickup , or even pull a bearing cap, mine were wiped when I did the rebuild, bearings are cheap
Thanks was planning to do that after the interim oil change. As was going to replace the pan gasket at that point. But I don't see any harm in moving up the gasket change. Will check em out and thanks again for the suggestion

Old 12-14-2015, 01:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saintdel
Removed the instrument cowl to access the switches as only one of them was working. Verified voltage was getting to the switches. Disassembled and repaired them, replaced burned out bulbs as well. The front fog lamps still not operable, will check the relay next.
The top 4 switches on mine don't work, other than unplugging them, I couldn't figure out how to tear into them, any advice?

Old 12-14-2015, 01:44 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueB3
The top 4 switches on mine don't work, other than unplugging them, I couldn't figure out how to tear into them, any advice?
You have to pull the switches out and unplug the harness. Then take a few really small flat tip screwdrivers and pry the switch casing open with them. This takes some patience.
Usually cleaning up the contacts with some super fine sandpaper is all that's needed. And maybe a touch of lube in the track.

Old 12-14-2015, 02:13 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I also need to tear into the passenger seat as I think I blew a fuse when messing with the switches >.<

Old 12-23-2015, 10:10 AM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I replaced the bushings on the panhard rod. I noticed a slight wobble on the highway and when I got home I checked and found there was enough play in the bushings I could shake the rod a tiny amount.

Previously, the OEM-style (unknown make) rubber bushings were very worn and I could shake the rod by as much as 1mm or more. I found this while diagnosing "death wobble," and replacing the bushings cured the issue. I replaced them with genuine OEM rubber bushings. They lasted about 15,000 miles. I have replaced them with Super Pro poly bushings. The slight wobble has gone away. We'll see how long the poly lasts versus the rubber.

All the bushings on my D1 are Super Pro poly now. I wouldn't hesitate to use these over rubber bushings any day simply because they are far easier to remove and install, and otherwise don't show any disadvantage. I think they result in slightly better operation. It's hard to quantify how much better they are. They don't seem to make a huge difference versus rubber. They seem to be holding up fine, and will last at least as long as I would expect rubber to.

Old 12-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replaced batteries in the remotes and now it has an awesome range of like 30 feet as opposed to 3 feet!
Drove my truck a bunch this weekend looking at potential replacements..
I guess I scared my truck into submission.. Majority of the issues I was having mysteriously went away..

Old 12-23-2015, 03:49 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Over Thanksgiving I removed the Alpine windows and repaired the rusted lower frames. I'll post a photo thread showing my process sooner or later.

Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Finished up the front bumper, almost happy with rack and started on the rear bumper.

J

Attached Thumbnails So what did you do to your Disco today?-p1110204.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-p1110193.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-p1110249.jpg   So what did you do to your Disco today?-cut-up.jpg  
Old 12-25-2015, 01:25 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Changed my ignition wires today, did my spark plugs day before yesterday. I'm staying at a friend's house with a nice big empty garage with great lighting but GAH no tools. So bummed I didn't bring any tools. Air filter and MAF cleaning tomorrow, and maybe swap out the fuel filter. Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?