Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by LeakyDisco
Agreed. Either way will work fine.

I found it easier to do it with a wheel in the air since I had to get the shaft in a specific position to get enough clearance for my wrenches on the nuts. It just gave me more precision to rotate by hand.

Perhaps I need some better wrenches?
I have that fancy socket from Atlantic British, but I just use two 6pt combination wrenches, either 9/16" or 14mm.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally got my master cylinder from Atlantic British and got it installed, new brake lines to the rear. Got my throttle body and stepper motor cleaned, tightened up my exhaust manifold and got new muffler installed. Modified my rusty front bumper by removing rusted parts, it's a much smaller front bumper now. Also got my new tires put on. Disco looks completely different with those few mods.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
I'd be more worried about tab strength, how thick is the steel and how well is it welded on? Looks like the D-ring could shear that tab. Watch out for the pin on the shackle bending because of how its mounted. Maybe flip it around when you use it... You'll never get it out if it bends.

It depends how hard you are going to use it. You know how stupid duty I have to have things. Stuff like that I dont mess around with it could be seriously dangerous and fatal if it lets go.
Those tabs are not welded on, they are a formed part of the bumper.
They are welded together but not welded on.
The shackle will not go on any other way, I tried, the eyelets will not fit through the holes in the tabs.
This is a non-SRS bumper, strong as a ships anchor.
Like I said, tweaked my frame enough to move a trans oil cooler line so it rubbed on the inner fender rubbing a hole in it.
Using that bumper I broke a 6" diameter tree that was laying across a trail while dragging it out of the way after a storm rolled trough.
Bumper strong, Rover good.
I will not use those shackles for a ****** recovery, static only.

Old 08-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Mudding

completed chevy express fan clutch conversion. works great.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Possibly a write-up coming soon?

Originally Posted by Scharfire
completed chevy express fan clutch conversion. works great.
Hi Sharfire, I'm considering replacing my fan clutch as well. Any additional info, pics etc, you can provide? Sourcing, adapters, ease/difficulty, "gotchas" or "ah-has" etc...

I see you are from Paradise? My wife and in-laws are from Chico. When our Disco was brand new in '96 we came up and got plenty of stares.only Ford Explorers in those parts back then ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Old 08-30-2012, 04:00 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I fed my D1 (Crazy Red) her bi-weekly 2 quarts of oil and 6 or 8 ounces of ATF in the power steering reservoir...

Headed out to replace the PAS pump on my D2 this evening so both are ready to wheel this weekend!

Old 08-31-2012, 12:27 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by TomOwen
Hi Sharfire, I'm considering replacing my fan clutch as well. Any additional info, pics etc, you can provide? Sourcing, adapters, ease/difficulty, "gotchas" or "ah-has" etc...

I see you are from Paradise? My wife and in-laws are from Chico. When our Disco was brand new in '96 we came up and got plenty of stares.only Ford Explorers in those parts back then ;-)

Thanks in advance,
Tom
very very very simple to do. i didn't take any pictures of it. i think mine was a case by case. i had a little bit of rubbing on the fan shroud when i completed it. The Chevy Express van v6 non ac fan clutch is about 1 and 1/8 longer so it will put you fan closer to the rad. will not cause any cooling issues but you may run into some rubbing at higher RPM's. just grind down the tips of the fan evenly and you will be fine. the only other issue i had was getting the 4 bolts off the back. i ended up drilling them out. once you drill them out will need to enlarge the 4 holes in the fan itself to a 3/8's inch hole to except the new bolts. but other than that if you don't have to drill out the bolts or grind down the fan should only take about 45 mins.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not care for trimming fan blades. If you get them out of balance it's a problem.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
I fed my D1 (Crazy Red) her bi-weekly 2 quarts of oil and 6 or 8 ounces of ATF in the power steering reservoir...

Headed out to replace the PAS pump on my D2 this evening so both are ready to wheel this weekend!

That's a lot of oil consumption in't it?

How's the Fort Pitt Gang doing?

Old 08-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Mudding

if you are careful with your trimming you will not have a problem.

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?