Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 03:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today was cosmetic stuff. Cleaned up my stock alloys, sprayed them with flat black. Also secured the rear bumper caps with toggle bolts. Need to adjust my steering stops...255's ended up too wide even with a 2" lift.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by keoni004
Today was cosmetic stuff. Cleaned up my stock alloys, sprayed them with flat black. Also secured the rear bumper caps with toggle bolts. Need to adjust my steering stops...255's ended up too wide even with a 2" lift.
Your tires rubbing on radius arms?? lift and tire width have less to do with that than adding tires that are 5" taller than stock..

I got the front axle back under thr truck. Need to button a couple small things up and I'll be completely done with the front besides wiring the locker..

Old 11-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Your tires rubbing on radius arms?? lift and tire width have less to do with that than adding tires that are 5" taller than stock..

I got the front axle back under thr truck. Need to button a couple small things up and I'll be completely done with the front besides wiring the locker..

Hahaha, yeah...I tried to keep it close to stock height. I've got 255/70/16's, and at full wheel lock the wider tires rub. I was surprised too, everything I had researched said 255/70 would fit STOCK, so I figured I was clear with the 2" lift. Meh...maybe it's a steering gremlin holdover from the PO. Trying to decide whether I want to mess with the steering box or just get a set of steels with an offset to compensate.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Hahaha, yeah...I tried to keep it close to stock height. I've got 255/70/16's, and at full wheel lock the wider tires rub. I was surprised too, everything I had researched said 255/70 would fit STOCK, so I figured I was clear with the 2" lift. Meh...maybe it's a steering gremlin holdover from the PO. Trying to decide whether I want to mess with the steering box or just get a set of steels with an offset to compensate.

You have a D1 right?? On the knuckle they have 19mm bolts that work as steering stops just turn those out a couple times.. You may lose some turning radius but it's cheaper than buying new wheels or wheel spacers..

Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

With offset wheels you then run into stuffing fenders under light articulation.......

You can't win.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ihscouts
With offset wheels you then run into stuffing fenders under light articulation.......

You can't win.
tube fenders

Old 11-20-2012, 03:07 PM
Rock Crawling

I think it's from the new steering arms. Too lazy to crawl under the car to fix it or the steering box right now

Old 11-28-2012, 05:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's from the new steering arms. Too lazy to crawl under the car to fix it or the steering box right now
Can't be lazy with a Disco! That's when you get in trouble haha.

This weekend:

So as some of you all may be aware I'm in the process of oil pump, timing chain, radiator and pick-up line renovation. I realize that doesn't sound too bad but I am literally teaching myself as I go with only my trusty RAVE. Bear in mind I go to college over an hour away from home and obviously don't have a car to easily go to and from. Well this weekend I finally made some head way. I have worked on the truck about three different times since starting everything. I got my sump, cover, and water pump buttoned up. I'm hoping to finish 'er up next time I am in town and hopefully get it back up to college. Unfortunately, my oil pump was fine with absolutely no scoring, thus my low oil pressure is bearings. Perhaps a miracle will happen and my low oil pressure blues will diminish after all of this, but I bought a quart of BG109 as a last resort. If all else fails, keep an eye on the Classifieds.

As she sits..

Name:  IMG_20120903_174447-1.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  202.8 KB

A family friend mechanic helped out and we also found out I have some sort of leak around cylinder three, but I do believe this 109 ought to assist in sealing that up
Name:  scancrankingcompressioncylinder3.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  51.1 KB

Old 11-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Rock Crawling

Started the minor repairs today. Pulled out the ECU for the rear windows, soldered the broken contact...you're now looking at the owner of a '98 disco with a functioning left rear window! Now I need to pop off the right rear door panel to check the regulator or motor.

Also got tired of the broken dash cup holder and installed center mounted ones.

Now gathering up the bits (and *****) I need to install the snorkel this weekend. May procrastinate further by adjusting steering stops tomorrow.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:39 PM
Mudding

I did an ignition tune up and air filter today. I also finally put in a new seat switch for the driver's side. My seat was stuck in an awkward position for months, so it was simple pleasures heaven. I had an early Christmas today, receiving a decent order of parts. I'll be addressing my death wobble next week with the new shocks and a steering damper. I hope that solves it anyway. On the negative side, I found out my new alternator's front bearing is going out making a serious noise and putting a hurting on my new belt. It's always an adventure...

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?