Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

So what did you do to your Disco today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d1eddie
so if i found a Toyota fj, can i take the whole front and rear end housing? is there drive shaft adapters for my gbr drive shafts ? and would i want any other parts from the donor fj( tho there kinda rare in junk yards so far) but ill keep an eye out at the auctions.. and on the flares i will order them soon, and install them when i get time.
also waht about breaks , i would assume that the fj might have better breaks ? and then the wheels i asume i would need from an fj is there any better selection of low cost rims ?

it's an Fj80 I assume?? E locker or open?? You will want the whole axle assembly and wheels at least for now. If it's e locker get all of the harness wiring switch, everything. Breaks on the Fj80 are bigger and better. You can find Toyota rims for cheap look on pirate 4x4 in the for sale and you'll probably find 35s+ on toy bead lock rims. Keith can machine the flanges to fit your drive shaft. Give him a call tell him I sent you. Only issue then is you'll need to reset your pinion preload. Or if you know somebody with a good drill press and find a way to set the third up to be drilled without removing the flange that might be the ticket.. You're going to have to figure out custom links and steering rods but that stuff isn't hard. Keep the Toyota ones for reference and the rod ends.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Came outside to a truck that wouldn't start, wouldn't even crank. I would just get a single click from the starter. I wheeled on Sat and figured maybe the starter got jacked up. Pulled the starter and bench tested it, seemed fine. Bench tested my spare starter and it seemed fine too. Cleaned up all the contacts and reinstalled the original starter. Same thing, one click. Pulled it and threw the other one in. Again, one click. WTF!? Turns out the positive lead had pulled out of the battery terminal and was just hanging there. Dammit!!
Check your connections first!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hahaha, I'm with you fishEH. Tried to do something simple and fix a broken washer tank. Wouldn't start afterward. Panicked posts here, panicked calls to my rover tech. Noticed I blew the ignition fuse. Bought every 60A fuse in the local area (no one carries more than one). Ended up clamping the washer tank on top of a wiring bundle . Repositioned, installed the fuse...everything is right as the milk.

Other than that, installed my 2" OME lift and steering damper; ordered General AT2 Grabber tires from Tire Rack, too...should get those installed this weekend.

Last edited by keoni004; 11-13-2012 at 03:52 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
it's an Fj80 I assume?? E locker or open?? You will want the whole axle assembly and wheels at least for now. If it's e locker get all of the harness wiring switch, everything. Breaks on the Fj80 are bigger and better. You can find Toyota rims for cheap look on pirate 4x4 in the for sale and you'll probably find 35s+ on toy bead lock rims. Keith can machine the flanges to fit your drive shaft. Give him a call tell him I sent you. Only issue then is you'll need to reset your pinion preload. Or if you know somebody with a good drill press and find a way to set the third up to be drilled without removing the flange that might be the ticket.. You're going to have to figure out custom links and steering rods but that stuff isn't hard. Keep the Toyota ones for reference and the rod ends.

oh man i had the wrong idea, i thought we were talking about the newer fj i was one today and they got ids , but we got some older land cruisers in our lot, so find any one with an elocker , but first i got to check the width and how it will sit on the front end, i am kinda surprised tho it is any stronger , but it would be alot easier then cuting down a f250 housing ,

but today's update, i finally got all my advance evap system (1999)working and now i am ready for smog pass or fail. but its a step in direction to make it a street legal once again ..so much work for a 3 year newer motor so wish i did the 4bt swap, but that would have been a real clusterfu*k of a mess with smog in san diego.... lucky for me i know the state smog ref from all my hack jobs in the past. so cross some fingers for me on thursday

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by d1eddie
oh man i had the wrong idea, i thought we were talking about the newer fj i was one today and they got ids , but we got some older land cruisers in our lot, so find any one with an elocker , but first i got to check the width and how it will sit on the front end, i am kinda surprised tho it is any stronger , but it would be alot easier then cuting down a f250 housing ,

but today's update, i finally got all my advance evap system (1999)working and now i am ready for smog pass or fail. but its a step in direction to make it a street legal once again ..so much work for a 3 year newer motor so wish i did the 4bt swap, but that would have been a real clusterfu*k of a mess with smog in san diego.... lucky for me i know the state smog ref from all my hack jobs in the past. so cross some fingers for me on thursday
You dont cut it down. You use the Diff and custom 30 spline axles that are beefier. Rover Tracks makes the kit. Also sewer cap the stock rover housings and they fit the stronger toy diffs.

RovingTracks Extreme Duty Land Rover Drivetrain Accessories

Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CUpgt
You dont cut it down. You use the Diff and custom 30 spline axles that are beefier. Rover Tracks makes the kit. Also sewer cap the stock rover housings and they fit the stronger toy diffs.

RovingTracks Extreme Duty Land Rover Drivetrain Accessories
Im telling to use FJ80 axles not do the conversion like what I'm doing. If I could have found the axles for cheaper I would have went this route too. I'm ready for my truck to back in one piece again..

Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by keoni004
Hahaha, I'm with you fishEH. Tried to do something simple and fix a broken washer tank. Wouldn't start afterward. Panicked posts here, panicked calls to my rover tech. Noticed I blew the ignition fuse. Bought every 60A fuse in the local area (no one carries more than one). Ended up clamping the washer tank on top of a wiring bundle . Repositioned, installed the fuse...everything is right as the milk.

Other than that, installed my 2" OME lift and steering damper; ordered General AT2 Grabber tires from Tire Rack, too...should get those installed this weekend.
Its always something! I would be a little concerned that pushing on a wiring bundle would blow a fuse. Sounds like you might have an exposed section of wire that shorted out on something.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by fishEH
Its always something! I would be a little concerned that pushing on a wiring bundle would blow a fuse. Sounds like you might have an exposed section of wire that shorted out on something.
I checked it out, and rewrapped the bundle. It wasn't so much "pushing", as it was "stuck between the two bottom bolts on the washer tank" when I bolted it back. Should have stopped and looked when I noticed the bolts weren't sticking through the fender as far as I had remembered.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:44 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Jake1996D1
Im telling to use FJ80 axles not do the conversion like what I'm doing. If I could have found the axles for cheaper I would have went this route too. I'm ready for my truck to back in one piece again..
I got ya. Didn't Bill at RTE do a RRC with fj80 axles on 37s or something like that? Freaking sweet!

Old 11-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by CUpgt
I got ya. Didn't Bill at RTE do a RRC with fj80 axles on 37s or something like that? Freaking sweet!
Yea a hand full of guys over on Dweb run the swap. Mongo and KyleT are a couple I can think of off the top of my head.. It's a happy medium between full width and.. HD rover stuff. Bigger brakes, cv's, axles, 9.5" rear diff. yadda yadda yadda...

I got my front axle pulled off and stripped tonight. I should have the template to do the front axle.. so I should be able to wrap that up in one evening.. I was shocked to see the front diff guard was dented a bit. With that said it might be for sale

Quick Reply: So what did you do to your Disco today?