Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starter and Tires 2 unrelated questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter and Tires 2 unrelated questions

Starter Question
So long time no post, but I had a couple questions for the knowledgeable folks out there. I really don't use the rover all that often but try to take it out once a week at least for some exercise. Stopped at the gas station turned it off and with keys still in it. Went inside came back and it wouldn't start no noises nothing. Turned the key off and on a few times still no luck. Never had a starter problem before. Stuck my head down by the relays and could hear a faint click. Tried a few more times and voila started like always and has since. So here is the questions:

Any idea what was going on? Was this something to do with the security system? Is this more likely a short or some kind of rover anomaly? Or is my starter beginning to go?

Tires Question
As I mentioned above I don't put too many miles on the rover and it is need of some new(er) tires. I've been looking for a decent set of used tires to put on it but finding the stock size here (Big Island) is kinda difficult to find. A far more common size is for older toyota trucks 265/70. Is this gonna be a problem on my old rover with it's old suspension? I've seen the tire fitment guide and its says they will fit but I'm just wondering if that still applies on old springs and shocks?

Thanks for your time!!

Old 11-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Starter going bad or wires to starter need cleaning up and tightening. If it happens again and you bang on starter and it works, generally indicates something bad inside starter, like solenoid.

Old 11-20-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With mine, it was the connection between the ground cable to the frame. Mine had corroded really badly. I cut the cable at the terminal because the bolt head was corroded beyound removing.

I then put a new copper terminal on that cable and attached it to a different locaion on the frame after removing the coating on the frame down to bare metal and drilled a pilot hole then used a self drilling body bolt to reground it.

Since then, I found out about the cables that Tom Rowe (Antichrist) makes and sells.
I highly recommend those for a great long term solution.

As far as the tires, if your suspension is original like mine was, mine was sagging badly which would probably not work well with the taller profile tires.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll check out the wires next time I'm rolling around underneath there. I guess I'll stay on the look out for some stock sized tires.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Or just replace that worn out suspension...............

Old 11-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Or just replace that worn out suspension...............
Terra firma lift will come sooner or later. Need a couple tires for my bike and to figure out this weird noise my subaru is making before I go buying stuff I don't really need. Shooting for January-ish......