Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Starter woes

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 05:27 PM
b c
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter woes

My '98 Disco has been acting like the battery is almost dead. Just barely turns over. Sometimes turns a little and then grinds to a halt. But then if I try again, it slowly cranks and then starts. Anyhow, i figured the battery was a goner since it is about 4 years old. The wife was getting pretty grumpy about it and said she was worried she would get stuck somewhere. So, since the battery in my other rig is almost new, I swapped the battery and figured i'd buy a new one in a few days.
Well, It still barely cranks! So -assuming it isn't bad wiring, is there anything else that could cause this besides a bum starter motor?

And also- does anyone know how to fix a grumpy wife?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

diamonds are a girl's best friend.

Let us examine some other electrical issues. Clean and tighten both battery terminals. Like shiny. The black cable - from negative battery post - follow it down to the frame near bottom of radiator, remove and clean that connection. Big wire from positive battery post - follow that down to starter, remove and clean those connections. Also clean up any other wire connections on the starter.

After that, it could be bad starter, and it will be a PITA to swap out, use several extensions and work from in front of the axle.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:21 PM
b c
Mudding

Thanks Savannah but are you advocating diamonds as the fix for my wife?? If I could afford diamonds I wouldn't be getting my hands dirty working on my old rover! I can hardly afford a new battery and I can even less afford a new starter!I was thinking of something more like doing the dishes or speaking kindly to her.

But I digress...
I ,of course, cleaned the terminals and connections when I swapped batteries but have to admit I didn't think of checking the ground. I, for sure, will do that and look at the starter connections but I was wondering more about starter relay or any other mysterious gadget hidden away somewhere. Also -is there a solenoid on the starter these days or is that something that was done away with years ago.? I know, I know...now you're thinking why doesn't this lazy bum go crawl under his rig and look. Well It's so much more comfortable here in front of my computer and it's darn cold out there in the garage. Brrrr But if I have to- I guess I 'll go look.
I just now figured out what a PITA is... Duh!

Old 02-13-2013, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Has a solenoid.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Mudding

Check all your connections.. Especially your ground...

Good Luck

John

Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Download the wife rav manual, grumpy wife could be backed up intake or exhaust. Get some seamen foam, spray it all inside, I keep reading here that guys do this to clean it up.

Now the truck, I've also read that a HG job fixes everything.
Windows don't roll down, HG job.
Wheels stuck, HG job and they'll fall off.

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Here's an example of what can happen to the cables.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...erminal-38891/