Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Steering Pump Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 04:36 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Steering Pump Question

Hi all. Recently purchased a '97 LR Disco I and I have come to find the information posted on this forum to be extremely useful. I have used it as a repair reference countless times and felt that if I was using it that often, I ought to join. So, here I am writing my first post.

My steering system is leaking and while I am not quite sure, it appears to be coming from directly behind the pulley. Is there a seal where the pulley attaches to the pump? Or am I perhaps just seeing splash from the moving serpentine belt?

Also, is there a recommended method of leak detection? I have heard tell of dyes that can be introduced into the system allowing for detection of the leak with a UV light. I've tried soapy water to no avail.

Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the great information I have gleaned from this forum and thanks in advance for any help you can offer regarding my current problem.

word5150

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

In the RAVE tech manual you can download it shows how to rebuild the pump with a set of gaskets/O rings that can be purchased on-line. I think the tech section may also list a swap out with another brand of pump. It is ATF fluid in there, and many users put in some Lucas transmission treatment. Some purists are against any additives, but - they don't have their name on a football stadium.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:34 PM
Winching
Location: Oklahoma; where the winds come rolling down the plains.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah if your leaking behind the pulley, that pump is done for. Spray it off real well and keep looking for a definite location. I'm one of those purist. Additives I feel only line pockets. Use only Pure 100% manufacturer recommended fluids and you can not go wrong.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:09 AM
3rd Gear
Cool

Thank-you for your prompt replies. Sounds like my pump is shot. I don't think I will try and rebuild it. Replacement sounds like the way to go. I read on the forum at some point that there is a less expensive GM pump out there that will work. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, is it an exact fit or will I have to jump through a lot of hoops to get it on?

Thanks again,

word5150

Old 07-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

In the tech section it is covered, says it is a 100% fit, but you will need to swap one short hose, to get a 90 degree connection. Pump is about $54. The level of leak may detemine how quick you need to do this. Some additives will slow leaks, some will increase pressure and cause more leaks. Of course, Rovers were designed with recycling in mind, they return oil to where it came from....

Also, while under your new machine take a good look. There will be lots of things to grease (like all the prop shafts), places to fix, etc. It is unlikely there will be one leak on an older Disco.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have found that Valvoline Max Life ATF stopped all my power steering leaks.
The power steering system on the DI uses ATF just a FYI.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One more thing to consider, I thought I had a power steering leak because I kept finding the red fluid in my front left wheel well right near the power sterring reservoir, but the reservoir was always full, lots of fluid visible though. It turned out to be a pinhole in the transmission cooling line going to the circular tranny cooler located behind the grille.

Throrughly degrease the area and look closely. I have also heard of people stoppong ps leaks on these with the White Shepherd. I too do not li8ke additives, but I would try what Spike spoke of. Maybe just dried up seals or other sources. If that does not fix it, then shceck out a replacement pump.

I also saw on here that the power steering/atf fluid will harm the bushing directly under the power steering reservoir, so deal with it asap to avoid more problems.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:58 AM
3rd Gear

Again, thank-you all for your prompt responses. This may be a stupid question, but where do I find the Tech Section'?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Select forum jump (Discovery 1, as example) and the sticky: Tech Section will be #1 on the list and in our hearts.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have not already done so, down load the zipped RAVE file and you will get all the technical pubs for your vehicle.