Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Strange Brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 10:03 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Brake problem

Well, after a week of repairs and maintenance I was ready to go have some fun with the Land Rover only to have my brakes bind up. I had the thing towed home and began troubleshooting, Checked the calipers, the Master Cylinder, The pads, The ABS Module and booster, Nothing visually wrong and the brakes began working again. I drove it again and it worked great for about 3 miles. Then again it began to bind and a strange smell of hot burning wires, I stopped and shut down the engine. I waited and then pressed the pedal when starting the engine and felt a hard impact in the pedal. as if the booster had released. The MS isnt binding i double checked it. I have read about issues with the brakes and based on the symptoms It sounded like my booster was jamming up after i press the brake thus leaving pressure on the brakes. We recently replaced the Valley pan gasket and had to disconnnect the vacuum line for the booster but that is all. Has anyone encountered a problem like this as I am familiar with series 3 Jaguars, and this is my first Land Rover. and know almost nothing about it when it comes to the little oddities of the vehicle.

***Update***
Just went back to look it over and noticed a slight hissing sound coming from the front around the booster, sounds like the hose might be leaking.

Ok my original MS looked like this http://shop.allfourx4.com.au/WebRoot..._copywmark.jpg

The one They installed on my Disco looks like this http://ebay.alldiscountautoparts.com...s/10742944.jpg

I'm no expert but that doesn't look right to me but then again, I'm used to dealing with Jaguar, not Land Rovers

*update*
Found out a caliper went bad was binding up, so i ordered a new one installed today, truck drove great brakes were good for about 15 miles then the same damn thing they slowly began to bind gradually getting worse until it wont even move. I am reaching my wits end having put in the last month over $1800 into I about ready to trade it or sell it just for a break. Love the vehicle but between it and my xj6 its wearing me out.

Heres what Has been doen in the last 3 months

Tie rod ends
Steering gear
Front ball joints
Valley pan gasket replaced
Front grille
Hood replaced due to slight hail damage
New Turn signal
Front calipers
Brake pads
Motor mounts
Transfer Case mounts
New headlight
New Serpentene Belt
Rear Brakes
Radiator flushed
Master Cylinder (After having it changed is when the problem showed up, i have repalced it 3 times now)
Rear Bumper caps repaired
Power seat switches replaced
New Hoses
Fluids changed

Not to mention the labor costs from items I didn't change
So Right after the new MS this problem began, My last desperate hope is by ordering the original style cylinder it might by some miracle fix it. I thinking of replacing the lockheed valve to just for good measure but at this point my wife is ready to introduce the thing my my rifle so gotta keep her away from it for a while. So any help is greatly needed. otherwise in about a week you'll find it on the for sale section, I will have no choice as she will shoot me instead. :-)

Last edited by txjag1023; 03-05-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Update
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, where did the replacement part come from? They do not look at all alike or even similar. Who picked it and why?

If the shop chose it, I would demand they remove thaty one and replace it with the correct one.

I only buy from a limited number of suppliers, especially with what I consider critical parts!

I usually prefer to start with Rover's North for new parts. They have excellent Illutrated parts breakdown drawings and very Rover knowledgeable staff that will provide good answers and the right parts. I may price shop with a few others, but for information and baseline I always look at RN. Atlantic British is a maybe source for me. RovahFarm is another good source.

Also keep in mind there are a few great used parts (and sometimes new parts as well)
suppliers that I have used like Will Tillery (roverguy.com) and Paul Grant.

PT Schram is another one that has great prices on good parts, I just have not yet had the occasion to buy from him yet. (PT, do you have a website or Ebay store?).

I usually avoid Ebay suppliers on critical type parts, and closely evaluate anything else i see on Ebay. Except classic Golf Clubs.

Good Luck as you discover the world of Discovery Recovery, it is a serious addiction for most of us.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The shop chose it, I'm keeping my original though, the core was only $25.00 and its worth more to me to rebuild it. I ordered a New OEM Land Rover MS today from Miami Rovers for $200.00 Free shipping. The brake problem of it binding up, I solved that apparently someone craked the vacuum booster line and it had a problem there, you could press the pedal but it would eventually loose booster power and hang up. And for good measure and as I have been lazy, I disconnected the abd system. The leaking vaccum line, I made one using a jaguar part, So far the the brakes have never felt better.