Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Switched to Rotella, changed separator and hoses...more to come, wires and plugs, etc

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012 | 07:13 PM

Today was one of those days that a couple of little things just made very irritating, but the major stuff went well.

Seafoam treatment completed, no much of an issue after a return trip to Advance to pick up the tube that should have been with the can in the first place. Completed the treatment following instructions on can, not much smoke, blew out a little when revved, a little more during the test drive.

Ran first gear to 4k 2nd gear to 4k then had to slow down. Drove around a few minutes more, ran clear and really peppy.

Start to put in the new NGK plugs, wish I had not even bought them. The damn top white ceramic is a little fatter diameter than the Champions and the tips are the threaded one you can screw in or out. It was 13/16 size where Champions were 5/16.

Anyway, installed first plug and the damn boot on the NEW NGK wires was too snug to easily put it on the plug, so I took another one out of the box, and put some dielectric grease on it, tried pushing it on, it was pretty snug but finally went on. The little clip is a solid ring unlike most spark plug connector with have the front of the clip shaped to spring open. Anyway, the plug was too big and screwed up one of my brand new NGK wires, the tip came off when I pulled the plug off the loose plug. I do wonder if more dielectric grease would have prevented this but between the construction of the NGK wire and the larger diameter of the NGK plug , I was pissed that this occurred.

So I dug out a spark plug wire from my previous set, put the old plug back in and returned to Advanced Auto again and exchanged the NGK Plugs for Champion Coppers just like I had before. We compared them at the counter. The NGK is visibly bigger than the champions for some stupid reason. You would expect them to be a "standard" size at that point.

By the time I got finished with that I installed the one plug, put the old wire on and bagged up the broken wire for now. Too Little Daylight left so I called it a day.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-16-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-12-2012 | 02:04 PM
|
Pro Wrench

please stay on the thread!

you just saved me a huge &*%#$'n hastle. i was going to use the NGK plugs with the NGK wires. now ill go champion. thanks.

i have three cans of the regular seafoam already so i need to figure out this induction cleaning once and for all.

Old 03-12-2012 | 02:22 PM

You can easily pour that in the gas tank and oil. If you do the induction I would put the amount you want to use in a small container so that you only use as much as you need. They say on the can to let it "Slurp" it in, CRC just came out with the same exact can with almost word for word instructions as the Seafoam. Then use a flexible hose to put it into that little port where the vacumn hose goes.

The aerosol can is only $7.99. I liked the way it sprays right up to the throttle valve itself. But the other way will work very similarly. With the spray it is already pretty much atomized and the wait time is 5 minutes per the can. With the liquid, you are using the vacumn to pull it into a mist and the dwell time is like 15 minutes isn't it?

Mine only smoked a little. Guess it was not very smutted up inside?

As far as the plugs, I got more pissed than I have in years about that fiasco. I only screwed up one wire but that never should have happened. I had to send my Grandson inside because I did not want him seeing me that damn mad. After a few minutes of primitive grunts and primordial screams of anger I got over it and dug out my old wire from RN. The warranty on the box say to contact origginal seller which was Amazon.

I picked up one of those gapping tools for you Slang. I will drop it in the mail when I finish with tthe new Champions.

Next I want a ScanGuage so I can focus on real time data. Down to just the P1316 code , that's why I went ahead and did the Seafoam. It's raining today, so it maybe tomorrow before I put the other 7 in.

Then some Rotella and a filter. New O2's most likely. I keep getting a really long transistion time reading intermittently on the front O2's with the scanner at Advance, but I am getting tired of borrowing theirs.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-12-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: dyslexic
Old 03-12-2012 | 04:23 PM
|
Pro Wrench

You're convinced I live in the tundra. I'm not Chris-bro you know. Thanks for the gapper...how about some Puerto Rico coffee in return? It's manly stuff. The 1316 is O2 related? I don't have that. I have 1313 which is misfire I think. I'm gonna change wires and plugs before I look at that closer.

I'll pour the Seafoam in the oil prior to the next oil change...which I will have to do when I want to fix my oil pan leak and possibly the ticking that may be coming form the front cover, timing chain job the local independent did.

I'll do the gas tank when I get to the Seafoam induction I guess. Hey how about be a real pal and take a pic of that vacuum spot I need to feed the Seafoam in....just kidding. Actually, I still don't get where it is and I'm not asking Sava cause he'll put a hit out on me.

Way to keep your cool in front of the kids. No sense allowing them to see the primordial scream. I know I'd be scared.

Last edited by slanginsanjuan; 03-12-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: so that's how you spell primordial?
Old 03-12-2012 | 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

You already found it, the hose from the oil separator to the intake plenum will do just fine, may have to pinch it a little to keep it from slurping the 5 ounces or so too quickly. Everyone on the block will the the BBQ is at your place.... Don't do inside the garage....

Old 03-12-2012 | 07:00 PM

Slang,
OK, I LOVE GOOD STRONG COFFEE AND DARK RUM AS WELL.

I was swapping the spark plugs out for the Champs and got a refund and I had them throw in a gapper dial for the keychain. I got one on mine and gave my son one.

His company may be sending him on a crew to San Juan to do some inspection work at the Power Plant in May for a few weeks. He just got finished with a month long Power Plant outage in Kentucky inspecting the piping. Next they are going to Hatfield PA to do a big boiler.

They are in negotiations with General Electric for renewed contracts and they have work in PR and US Virgin Islands coming up.

I keep wondring if I had put a big glob of dielectric grease if it would have been ok, but I see no reason for the much fatter diameter, I was enraged until I sipped the last bit of that Appleton Estates Hand Blended Rum I found on special at the PA Liquor Store. This is one of the states that controls all Liquor sells, only state owned Liquor Store are allowed to do bottle sale here. But they are about to drop that so they keep reducing the high priced stuff to clear the slow moving stock out. That is a mighty smooth rum.

It rained all day, so I will wait til tomorrow the put the plugs in. i went ahead and gapped them all, only three required any adjustment and it was minor.

Old 03-13-2012 | 03:55 PM
Default Good Day

Today went much better than Sunday's attempt. The sun came out nicely about 10:30 and I was able to get the other seven new Champion plugs installed.

I went ahead and removed the MAF and sprayed it again. While the MAF was drying, since I had some Throttle Plate Spray Cleaner, and everything was open, I went ahead and sprayed it and wiped and sprayed. I was fairly surprised with how much gunk I was able to get out of it.

Have not removed the IACV yet, but I sprayed the little openings inside the throttle plate really well. Several short burst like the can said. And cleaned the outside portion of the throttle linkages and such.

I have been degreasing and wiping everything so it's cleaner than ever under the hood and the bottom too.

A couple of querstions for your motor guys, do you use the compression washers that come on the plugs or do ypou remove and discard them?

I have been leaving them on, the directions tell you to do an additional 1/2 to 2/3 turn after they make contact, but I am a little hesitant to overtighten for fear of breaking a plug off. There's not a lot of room to manuver a long ratchet around. What felt tight with a short flexable head ratchet would tighten more with a longer handle, but the way the plugs are angled and as big as my hands are, it is like being a contortionist on a few of them. How tight is tight enough with "Oh No it just broke" ?

Also, I see a fair amount of black on the threads, is that "BlowBy" from the plugs not being completely tight? Possible a little wear on something or what?

I know the condition of the spark plugs can vary according to internal conditions, I just do not know how to interpret these. Any old school engine guys car to give their thoughts?

Skylar loves to help me with the Rover, but when that wire came apart, I looked at him and said "It would be good for you to go inside now, he didn't even argue, yessir and in he went. A bit later, he did come out ask how it was going now. He's a great kid for 8 years old.

I took it out for a test drive and it is totally awesome. Running better than it ever has. Nailed it in first gear, quickly hit 4000 rpms, about 35 mph, shifted into second, 4000 rpms and then I had to back off due to running out of road too quick.

So far no CEL. Running great!

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 03-13-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 03-16-2012 | 12:16 PM
|
Pro Wrench

OK...it might just be me and you Danny but I'm going for it.

THe goal is to try and do plugs and related in one session.

SO, I'm going to do the Seafoam in the vacuum tube and then do spark plugs and wires. Like you, and thanks to you, I have the Champion Copper Plus and the NGK 8mm. Like you I'm going to clean the throttle body like it says in Josh's Seafoam write up, although I'm sure it looks totally different than the D2. Like you, I'd like to do the MAF when I figure out what it is and where it is.

It's dirty around the wires and who knows when the last time I did plugs but I think I may have that blowby stuff you mention. I'll clean it up and we'll see. I just got back from PEP Boys (what is a Pep Boy) and I forgot the damn gapper after all that talk. Don't know if I need to gap these but I'll figure that out shortly. I assume I should leave those compression washers as well.

Old 03-16-2012 | 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

re: I'd like to do the MAF when I figure out what it is and where it is.

see #4 on attached

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d1 maf.pdf (48.9 KB, 121 views)
Old 03-16-2012 | 03:05 PM
|
Pro Wrench

you're like my fairy godmother Sava except much more manly.

Quick Reply: Switched to Rotella, changed separator and hoses...more to come, wires and plugs, etc