Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Temp gauge?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp gauge?????

As I am new to this world. I ahve read that heat is the DEATH of these engines being they are aluminum. OK , so which temp gauge is the best and is moderately easy to install?
I already love my disco more than I will admit to my wife , since it is just a "project" car for the summer. ( I have already sold my other car , she does not know it yet, the guy is coming to get it tomorrow while DW and the kids are at the pool) LOL.

I just have to make sure it runs like a champ or my a$$ is in the dog house.

I will be doing several things in the near future, and will be soliciting many volumes of advice from the sages on this site.

Phillip

'96 Disco 158000

Old 06-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the ultra gauge! It plugs into your OBDII port and monitors up to 80 different things. Its only $69.99 too! It clears error codes as well.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

X1000 on the Ultra-Gauge.
I've had mine for 9? months now and still love it.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After LOSING an engine to heat in my P38 NOTHING goes anyplace without the Ultra Gauge em.

Old 06-26-2012, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's why you want the Ultra Gauge - the factory gauge is designed to slowly respond and average signals over a looong time, see pix. Until you get an Ultra Gauge, don't go above midpoint. Also, with your age radiator, which will have calcium build up from years of use and some "not distilled" water use, start looking for an indy small rad shop that does farm and heavy equipment. The shop I used hot acid flushed and rodded out my radiator for $70, carry in. Makes a huge difference. Rad is copper and brass, very costly to replace. Be sure to look in our tech section for the 60K miles list and get started, plus read over the oil explantion listed there. SWMBO will enjoy the Rover much more if it is dependable once she and the offspring have been treated to some mild adventure off road. First time out is not the best time to take on a serious water crossing, etc. If the first memory is getting the thing un-stuck and recovered, SWMBO normally will not forget that.... ever.

BTW - the Ultra Gauge is also a scanner/code reader, so a very handy tool indeed. Does not read oil pressure, only thing on a D1 is an oil warning light, should come on for a second or two during startup. Aftermarket gauges available.

Attached Thumbnails Temp  gauge?????-p1120320.jpg   Temp  gauge?????-rad-crud.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-26-2012 at 05:25 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm installing a mechanical (thermocouple) gauge in my wife's '97 when I can find some time. Probably won't be soon enough to help you, but I'll post the info when I do it.
I always prefer mechanical gauges over electric, though electric are certainly easier to install.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just throwing it out there again... You can get a bluetooth OBDII adapter ($22 shipped on amazon) that will sync up with your android smartphone and give live data with an App called torque ($5) on the market. I will get an ultragauge one day as a permanent install but for now this works for me at less than half the cost of the UG

Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm still not sold on the ultragauge for anything other than engine temps. probably cuz i don't know what any of those other measurements mean. i do know you need something other than the dash "gauge". i'll keep the UG in the D2.

I installed the glowshift mechanical gauge for temps in the D1 and I just ordered their matching oil pressure gauge now that I have learned pressure is important. IMO the mechanical gauges just go right with the mechanical D1.

For sure the UG is easier to "install" if you can call it that.....but it will not provide you with oil pressure.

antichrist, didnt we do this last year?

Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh yeah, FILBS, I forgot that. If I could do it over again I would go bluetooth android as I'd like to run telephone, gps, audio from an android.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
antichrist, didnt we do this last year?
LOL finding the time seems to be key.

Quick Reply: Temp gauge?????