Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Temp gauge?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
LOL finding the time seems to be key.
full disclosure: my water temp gauge looks great but it's still not installed to the rad hose. i remember us talking about best place to put it last year and the possibility of innacuracy due to it not being fully submerged at all times.

my cooling system has been working so well since the upgrade that the gauge has become a low priority.

i'll get the oil gauge installed in the next ten days as I can use it as i work on my tick.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i put a coolant temp sensor right before the tstat on mine...

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...-sensor-47701/

im a big fan of VDO gauges.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
I'm still not sold on the ultragauge for anything other than engine temps. probably cuz i don't know what any of those other measurements mean. i do know you need something other than the dash "gauge".
Its not hard to figure out what all the other info means, TPS is in %, o is closed 100 is wide open, O2's are 1.0v to .01v.
Its pretty simple.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks for all the input, UG ordwered and on the way. You guys mentioned oil pressure, Is ther any specifis oil gauge to purchase? As far as offroad goes I hv already taken the boys and they came back telling DW it was "the best." So I am mildly safe for a few there and the guy buying my car will be here this weekend, dodged that bulllet for a few more days LOL

Thnx
Phillip

'96 Disco

Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The Discos don't have an oil pressure sender, just an on/off switch that turns on the lamp below 7 PSI. So you can drive around on 15 PSI and not know it until it starts knocking enough to drown out Starship and "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now".

There have been a number of write ups with pix of various gauges, digital, pod mounted, some that are so small they squeeze into the dash, some use a pancake adapter to pick up oil PSI at the filter, etc.

BTW, I found an old Series I price list, back in then they offered an optional oil PSI gauge for less than what we pay for a tank of gas these days. Rover is just convinced that too much information distracts drivers.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
i put a coolant temp sensor right before the tstat on mine....
thanks VCG. i missed that. that thread is helpful.

yeah i know it's probably not hard to figure out Spike but i'm learning from the ground up so it's all new, the terminology, how it works and how its related, then the monitoring of it. thanks for being patient. i know it strains you some times!

Old 06-27-2012, 11:42 AM
Winching

as you can see in that thread the adapter plate fits even with the big oil filter... so theres really no reason in my mind not to run with that.

i havent had a free moment yet to mount the gauges, but need to do that as well.

Old 06-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench

actually i posted in that thread.....

i'm doing the same set up for oil pressure...and big filter.

as for water temp i was going to use the hose but agree with you on the spiking....

BUT I can't follow where that plug is that you tapped. I assume when I find it I need to make a 1/8inch npt threaded hole in it and use the supplied glowshift bits.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Slang, water temp gauge on which of your fine trucks?

Old 06-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
actually i posted in that thread.....

i'm doing the same set up for oil pressure...and big filter.

as for water temp i was going to use the hose but agree with you on the spiking....

BUT I can't follow where that plug is that you tapped. I assume when I find it I need to make a 1/8inch npt threaded hole in it and use the supplied glowshift bits.

i just bought the 1/8NPT sensor from VDO and dropped that right into the hole i made/tapped.
the plug is just below the tstat spot on the manifold, you cant miss it - check the pictures of that area that i posted. its just really dirty in the earlier shots.

i dont really care for adapters... so if you can just get a sensor in the right size thats one less seal you have to make.

dont use the hose, thats really hokey and wont really give you any useful information... not to mention the gauge flying back and forth constantly wont be very much help "at a glance".

Quick Reply: Temp gauge?????