Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Thump on right side area of glove comp and High heating

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thump on right side area of glove comp and High heating

Hi:
I have been hearing thumping on the right side of the engine about the area behind the glove compartment or airbag. Sounds sometimes like a squirrel running inside or maybe a liquid sound. I thought it might be when I brake but not always. Yes, before you ask I did take everything out of glove comparment so I know nothing is rolling around. The car is running hot. Got oil changed and the guy did not pull hose out and clean out from engine area like the direction from manual says. Could this be the cause. My Bro. in Law is coming over and I will ask him to do that but do you have any ideas? Thanks, Klandrover.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:10 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 225 Likes on 194 Posts

Gonna need some more info. Like when does it happen, braking, acceleration, turning, all the time, etc? At this point on any D1 all the bushings and Tie Rod Ends are suspect when there's a clunk or thump. The key is to notice when it happens and narrow it down.
Not sure what you're talking about by pulling a hose and cleaning out the engine area with an oil change. Oil changes on these trucks is pretty much like any other vehicle.
Where is SE WI are you? I'm in NE IL.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Running hot (where on the gauge?) and noise like liquid near glove box (water running - bubbles in coolant - head gasket?). What hose do you refer to in the manual, like what page? Does noise change with heater fan on/off?

Old 08-29-2012, 06:48 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How about "sounds like a waterfall", is that a better description?
You have air in your cooling system.
After it has sat all night remove the cap from the coolant tank, fill it full, start engine, a/c off heat on.
Idle engine for 30min keeping a eye on the temp gauge making sure it does not overheat.
After 30min replace tank cap, shut off engine.
The noise should now be gone as well as the running hot issue.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM
Three Wheeling
Default update

Hello All

I wanted to update. My brother in law Rex noticed coolant tank etc. was not pushing liquid around like it should. Turned out coolant tank was cracked and leaking. Someone glued it and it leaked from their repair. Previous owner must be a moron. It made a huge difference in the amount of oil my rover was needing. I was putting about a quart every 300 miles. I think I was burning it not so much leaking it like I had thought. I rarely have to add any oil now. Although it is very cold here I wonder if maybe everything is tightened up because it is cold so not leaking. Anyway things are great now. Love my rover.

P.S. This very kind and selfless brother in law was killed by a inattentive driver. I would like to ask that we all not pick up our phones to call, text or anything else that distracts. Please ask your loved ones to do the same. It is not worth killing someone or maiming them. We are in control of thousands of pounds of steel and it is dangerous if not respected. He should have lived another 25 years at least. We miss him greatly.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by klandrover
Hello All

P.S. This very kind and selfless brother in law was killed by a inattentive driver. I would like to ask that we all not pick up our phones to call, text or anything else that distracts. Please ask your loved ones to do the same. It is not worth killing someone or maiming them. We are in control of thousands of pounds of steel and it is dangerous if not respected. He should have lived another 25 years at least. We miss him greatly.
I am sorry to hear about this.
I do not text while driving, it is stupid and dangerous.
I only mess with my phone while stopped, and thats only to start my Pandora stream.
Glad your truck is fixed and I am very sorry to hear about your loss.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Mudding

Sorry for your loss. IF and only IF I need to use the dam phone, I always pull off. I just wish the rest of the morons around DC would practice this.