Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

This time it was my ****ing fault!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:48 PM
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry This time it was my ****ing fault!

I'll be taken full responsibility and bits for this move!

One day I was having trouble opening the rear cargo door, was moody sometimes. So this time I got pissed and took a small maulet to the cargo door handle... The handle though still intact no longer is connected to whatever opens the door. But it gets worse... Previously I accidentally engaged the child lock mechanism while cleaning the cargo bay - so now my cargo door is locked shut and cannot be opened from the outside nor the Inside! Brilliant. So obviously I'm going to need a new cargo door lever at the least, but how do I get my cargo door open? Is there any other way to disengage the child safety lock for the cargo door?

Old 06-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Sounds like you'll probably have to continue removing the latch from the outside, and pop it open from there. For what it's worth, I'm guessing you were merely having a problem with the little latch spring, which notoriously breaks. On mine, all you have to do is hold it unlocked with the key while you open the door.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by UpChuck
Sounds like you'll probably have to continue removing the latch from the outside, and pop it open from there. For what it's worth, I'm guessing you were merely having a problem with the little latch spring, which notoriously breaks. On mine, all you have to do is hold it unlocked with the key while you open the door.
By latch are you referring to the door lever or the hinges that hold the door to the body? The key hole on the cargo door never worked either. It's frozen in position and will not turn with the key inserted. Last time I tried unlocking the cargo door with the key, the key bent slightly out of shape! About ready to rip the whole door off and replace it!!!!

Old 06-07-2011, 04:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My 97 rear door would only open with the central locking system, but not the outside key. Had to pop off the door liner, which requires removal of one screw from the inside handle, and the speaker cover, to get at additional bolts. Pops off with those little plastic blind fittings, some will survive, some won't. Because you will be working in confined space, may need to invest in a set of plastic tools from Harbor Freight, etc. They have some that are curved 90 degrees or better.

When I got mine off I found the latch actuation rod for the key lock had popped out of some plastic snap holder, got parts from the salvage yard. Good time to snag more of the plastic blind fasteners. On the other hand, if you see a good rear panel at the salvage yard, grab it, and demolish yours to get in. And you could always cut an access hole and cover it with some diamond plate. Or try your hand with a "slim jim" like the lock smiths use.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

My 97 would not unlock from outside with key. Removed rear panel, takes one screw from inside latch handle, and remove the speaker box, plus pop away from door frame. Some of the plastic blind fastners won't survive. A curved upholstery tool from auto parts store or Harbor Freight will help, more that 90 degrees. The key lock actuator rod will be laying inside, it has a black plastic holder on one end that will be bad, grab one (and more blind fasteners) from the salvage yard. In your case might need a whole door inside panel, then you can cut yours out. Or just cut a modest hole and put a diamond plate skin over it. Not sure how well a locksmith "slim jim" would do. If a salvage yard is nearby, examination might reveal an access spot to try.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 06-07-2011 at 04:47 AM. Reason: correct typos
Old 06-07-2011, 05:14 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

im with savannah you will have need to take the panel off to get access.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Mudding

I had an issue when i installed the rear ladder on mine...pushed the drill bit in just too far and popped off one of the clips holding a rod that opens the door. Unable to open the door from the outside or inside. Had to remove the stuff from the cargo area, unscrew the subwoofer module, carefully pop off the door card then i could see through the hole where to push on the lock mechanism to open the door. Finally got it open and was able to put the clip back onto the rod and all was well...until i screwed the darn bolt in too far and popped it off again when i installed the ladder!!! had to repeat the process all over again!

Old 06-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Alright I took the interior panel off the cargo door and was able to find and deactivated the dam child lock - so now I can once again open the cargo door from Inside the vehicle. The next step is repairing the outer handle mechanism so that the door can be opened from the outside. The more I look at the cargo bay door the more I'm considering ripping it off and replacing with a used one in better condition - but that won't be for awhile. How do I repair the handle mechanism?

Name:  IMAG0248.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  85.0 KB

Not fully sure what this piece is, but it was lose when I took everything else apart. I believe it may be part of the main handle mechanism but again not sure.
Name:  IMAG0249.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  93.8 KB

Not any rust under the cargo door surprisingly! But I need a new plastic strip as this one is chipped.
Name:  IMAG0251.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  130.3 KB

The door latch is missing componets - maybe just a washer, maybe more. The door also needs wd-40.
Name:  IMAG0250.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  98.6 KB

Yup and ill need all new interior door panels. The speakers were already damaged before I took everything apart.
Name:  IMAG0252.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  128.7 KB

Old 06-11-2011, 02:35 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

actually if you have a small right handed pick you can get behind the door and push up the child lock. thats the only way. trust me did it a few times when the seize shut like that.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rovin4life
actually if you have a small right handed pick you can get behind the door and push up the child lock. thats the only way. trust me did it a few times when the seize shut like that.
Like I said I already deactivated the child lock... With my left hand!

Quick Reply: This time it was my ****ing fault!