Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tips for ABS sensor removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tips needed for ABS sensor removal

I will be working on replacing the swivel ball seals on my 98 and I was wanting to unbolt and move the brake caliper out of the way without completely removing it (undoing break lines). One of the things I noticed is that the ABS sensor is held in place with 2 bolts, one of which has very limited access to it without removing the solid brake line. Does any one have any tips for removing this bolt ? What tool did you use. Regular socket will not fit and end wrench is awkward at best and given the torque used on them I am not sure if an end wrench would work or if I could torque it to get it back on even if I could get it off.

Any suggestions ?????

Last edited by Rover Newbie; 10-07-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Those bolts don't hold the ABS sensor in, this thing does:

The ABS sensors pretty much just pull out of their holes.

The two bolts you see hold the upper swivel pin in the swivel ball housing. There is no way to get the swivel pin out without disturbing your brake lines in some way. The best way to do it if you are squeamish about making new hard lines would be to break the connection at the hose above and remove the hard line from the vehicle which would require bleeding of the system afterwards.

The more cavalier approach would be to simply bend the hard line still connected to the caliper out of the way and remove the bolts after supporting the caliper with zip ties to the spring or frame. Unless your lines are in pristine condition I would not attempt this, and even then I'd give a 50/50 shot of crimping or breaking at least one of them.

And finally, you will find many here who will insist that death wobble is ONLY caused by bad swivel pin preload. I disagree - admittedly it doesn't help, but I am of the opinion that it is caused by general slop in the entire assembly and you should do a little detective work while you are in there to identify other causalities that might be present, such as worn top pins (bottoms never go bad) wasted railco, etc. you are already in there, so why not freshen it all up nicey nice.

Let the flames begin, lol.

Edit: reading too many posts at once, have death wobble on the brain, lol. Just ignore that part unless you are trying to fix that too.

Last edited by geek_IM; 10-07-2013 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Reading too many posts at once
Old 10-08-2013, 08:11 AM
Three Wheeling

geek_IM could you please repost the picture. For some reason I am unable to see it.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The ABS sensor just pries out.

This may help too.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...acement-39705/

Old 10-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Three Wheeling

Wouldn't the slot cut in the top present a problem with the brake lines based on the amount of suspension travel. Wouldn't it be pulled out of the top of the bracket and bend the metal line to the caliper or am I missing something ?

Old 10-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

If you are articulating your suspension to the point of straightening your brake line out thus pulling it out of the bracket, you need longer lines. The slot wont make a difference provided its still secure.That clip/bracket aren't load bearing. Its simply made to keep the lines secure.