Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tired of reading about spark plugs :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jafir
I'm a tightwad about some things. When it's time for me to buy wires again, I'm buying from here: www.kingsborne.com/

I think Tom was the person I first saw suggest them. They sell 8mm wires too. My D2 had Magnecor wires when I bought it, and they busted in half when I went to pull the boot off the plugs to inspect them. Not that I'm suggesting that's normal for them, but at over $100 a set, I'd expect them to NOT do that.

i ordered a set of kingsborne wires for my silver shadow, and the quality was great for the price (sure beats the OEM ones for that car!)... that being said though i dont think anyone can beat magnecore. ive used them on all of the cars ive ever built, and had them make several custom sets as well... and im certain if you had issues with the wires a quick phone call to magnecor would have had a new one headed your way for a couple of bucks.

and when it came time to buy wires for my new D1, i ordered a set of magnecors for $80.

...wow that really sounded like a magnecore pitch. wasnt meant to but i am a satisfied customer!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I will say this for Magnecore, good customer service. I bought a set for my '95 about 6 or 8 years ago and when they come I realized I'd forgotten that I'd moved my coil, so the coil wire wasn't long enough. I needed one about 4' long. I rang them up and they sent one gratis.
Haven't tried that with Kingsborne..yet.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:38 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So I've got a question about which plugs everyone uses...Just Kidding. I just love seeing this thread revived every month or so.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

These are the ones I use for everything. Only ones that truly work. The rest are garbage.
Spark Plugs [PLG42] - $6.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!

Old 09-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris-bob
These are the ones I use for everything. Only ones that truly work. The rest are garbage.
Spark Plugs [PLG42] - $6.99 : KaleCoAuto, Hard to find automotive items!
I've actually found glow plugs work best for my set up.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the kingsborn are $30 for my 98 D1 and magnacore are $80-$100 are they both 8mm wires?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Kingsborne are 8mm if you order the 8mm.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:44 AM
Winching
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

ok well after thinking about all this and of course being new here also, I want to chime in slightly off topic... was just a fleeting thought.... since engine heat temp effects spark quality, is it possible that if someone had a problem with rough idling or missing or lack of some power it could be an indicator from slight overheating ( not bad overheating ) putting correct heat range spark plugs even recommended heat range would act like plugs out of heat range? and maybe a better or wider heat range ( if such a thing ) spark plug would not show this issue? possibly? might be stupid deduction, just was a fleeting thought...

Old 11-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't equate spark plug heat range to engine temperature - they're not related. Here's some good tech from NGK: NGK Spark Plugs USA

Old 11-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought the NGK wires from Amazon.com after reading NGK's webpages and got them, along with a WIX air filter and K&N Gold Oil Filter including shipping for under 50 bucks. So far very good.

Was about to go with the Kingsborne which would have been just a little more for the 8mm wires and a larger set of wire holders and shipping.

CHRIS-BOB: Very cool plugs and also liked the left handed metric screwdriver. Bet you have a few of them as well.

Quick Reply: Tired of reading about spark plugs :(