Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tranny swap, anybody have tips from doing one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
You shouldn't need to do anything with the engine mounts.
A transmission jack and the adapter described in the manual make it a lot easier.
I'm a glutton for punishment, and I dont have access to a fab of any sort .. And atm i'm flat broke due to losing my job, and my work not wanting to pay me for 3 works while I was there working .... heh

With that said, anyone do it white-knuckling it? I got 3 guys this saturday that can help with it ........

Old 06-28-2013, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Guys in the boneyard drop them onto seats pulled out of other cars. Tranny jacks can be rented maybe even rent/loaned by some places.

As for the other problems, www.indeed.com. You state attorney general office can take care of ex employer.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Guys in the boneyard drop them onto seats pulled out of other cars. Tranny jacks can be rented maybe even rent/loaned by some places.

As for the other problems, www.indeed.com. You state attorney general office can take care of ex employer.
Rofl fair enough, found someone that can loan me a motorcycle jack, should be good enough...

And yeah, lookin for a new job, and recourse for the back pay i appreciate the tip

Will update here as I make more progress will have the jack sometime saturday.. The old tranny i dont wanna beat up too badly since I may hold onto it and see if its repairable, but the transfer case obviously I need intact.

Guidance on Prop shaft, these have been rebuilt but it seems the consensus is to replace the u-joints anyway since the tranny obviously wasn't taken care of i imagine a lot of other routine maintenance has been left out.. The shafts are half-out anyway so better to just do it?

And for parts, AutoZone or Advance, is either better or are they both just settling for chinese crap?

Thanks again, I appreciate all the feedback here.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:14 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Advance is carrying Moog/Precision 344 u-joints now, unless you luck out and find one nearby that has the PDQ 1-0005 in stock.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:00 PM
Rock Crawling

More fun

43. Identify an access hole and bolt hole to aid
reassembly.
44. Remove bolts securing drive plate to convertor
through access holes.

Found the access holes, does this really matter which bolts connect to which? Or is this just to make sure you know what you're looking for........

And how the heck are you supposed to get these bolts out? so far it has been a nightmare trying to break these loose...

It's looking like the only way to get good access is to pull the oil pan, I really don't want to do that .....

Thanks again guys

EDIT:

Done .. got em out needed a breaker bar and a screwdriver to keep the flywheel from spinnin on me .... now on to the last few steps

The bolts here, are they able to be re-used, or replaced?

Last edited by nuclearw; 07-01-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Update:

Tranny is back in the truck! Got the drive plate/torque convertor back together as well as all the bellhousing bolts.

Now to try and remember where all the wires came from and go to.....

Old 07-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Need help identifying these plugs:

They are in-line with the o2 sensor cable running up from the engine....... The black plug extends about a foot past the transfer case towars the rear end

They are currently looking for a good home... so I can get the tranny mounted back to the frame.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 401 Likes on 385 Posts

Do you have the tc's solenoid and switch hooked up yet?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Do you have the tc's solenoid and switch hooked up yet?
I hooked up everything on the other cable that came back to the TC, a plug behind the parking brake, 2 on top of the pass side of the tc, and then the 2 single plugs toward the front of the pass side tc..

I'll try to look up in the RAVE to see if it specifies what these go to, its possible I missed some on the TC but very odd i cant remember where I pulled em off from lol

Old 07-30-2013, 02:12 PM
Rock Crawling

Ok... It appears the connectors are C1020 and C1019 ... one fits on each side of the TC kinda........ It appears these are for the post-cat o2 sensors... lol one less thing to worry bout.

Current status:

Tranny mounted back to the frame!! Progress is wonderful...

Next issues to worry about:

1. Seems that the driver side engine mount rubber got torn some during this process .... Gotta look into replacing that now too.

2. Heat shield that was over the exhaust at the Drivers side of the transfer case was falling apart when i pulled it off... Any tips on an alternative?

Quick Reply: Tranny swap, anybody have tips from doing one?