Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 08:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission not engaging

What I thought was a transfer case stuck in neutral was not the case. My transmission is not engaging. I removed the main plate to the transfer case to ensure that I was not getting anything coming out of the transmission.

I have a junker transmission and transfer case in the back and have been able to look them over trying to figure out what is going on.

The pictures attached are from the junker transmission. The first is the input at the bell housing. When I go to spin the outer portion of this, the entire transmission engages and you can see everything turning to include the output shaft at the other end. However, when I mount the junker torque converter to this and spin it, I have not been able to get the transmission gears to move around. What I think is that the longer portion of the transmission must move into the torque converter in order for the transmission to be engaged with the the engine via the torque converter.

If this is correct, maybe this is my issue. What is not happening is that the transmission is not getting into gear and engaging with the torque converter - hence zero coming out of the output shaft on my transmission that is mounted on the vehicle. If this is the case, what do I need to do to get the gears operating on the transmission?

I have gone through Rave and not found step by step that really go into too much detail when working on the gears for the transmission. First, there is the kick down. Mine appears to be okay - regardless, the transmission would need to be in gear first and the kick down has nothing to do with that. Next, there is the gear cable that attaches to the gearing at the transmission van an old-school bicycle cable like ***. With the vehicle running, when I shift gears, I assume it is operating properly. I had the transmission cable detached at the transmission mount at one point and tried shifting the gears while it was running and got nothing but air because the spacing was inaccurate. Now it is installed as it should be.

If anyone has any suggestions on this, that would be great. I need to drain some fluid off as it is a touch too full and can do this over the coming weekend. While I am doing that I can drop the pan and look to see what to do. Anyone knowing the precise way of installing the gear shifting cable inside the transmission and can do a write up that covers what Rave does not, would be welcome.

Outside of the transmission cable, the kick down cable, and the inhibitor, there really is nothing more to mounting this. Maybe that is why Rave keeps it short. Yet, I appear to not have gotten it correct.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission not engaging-img_3027.jpeg   Transmission not engaging-img_3028.jpeg