Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Transmission oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission oil cooler

Hi, I need to replace my transmission oil cooler pipes but can't get them off the oil cooler... I fear that they will break.. Who knows of any aftermarket oil cooler??

Old 07-13-2011, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I've taken them on/off radiators several times, I believe an adjustable crescent wrench was the tool of choice with some PB Blaster oil. On using an add-on unit, there might be an issue as there is a tranny heat temp sensor on one of the oil cooler lines, and the tranny oil is warmed up by the radiator. That temp sensor inhibits overdrive until tranny oil gets above 150. If you only have an external cooler, that could be a problem in winter. Of course on the Disco 1, there tranny lines are on the driver side and the engine oil cooler lines are on the passenger side (found a good looking radiator on a Disco that had been killed by blocked oil cooler lines - had to return it).

Old 07-13-2011, 11:27 AM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by atancreti
Hi, I need to replace my transmission oil cooler pipes but can't get them off the oil cooler... I fear that they will break.. Who knows of any aftermarket oil cooler??
It helps if you put your vehicle info in your signature. For all we know, you could be looking for pats for a Kia...

Old 07-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't the tranny cooler the little round one in front beneath the grille?

I had to replace one of my cooler lines due to a pinhole leak it sprung. That was my first repair on my "new " Discovery.

Old 07-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Isn't the tranny cooler the little round one in front beneath the grille?

I had to replace one of my cooler lines due to a pinhole leak it sprung. That was my first repair on my "new " Discovery.
Yes thats it.
I only have that one... I don't have any tranny pipes going to the radiator.

Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The front tranny cooler (horizontal unit in front of AC condenser) line on the left side runs back and up to the upper connection on the radiator below the upper hose. So we are both right, it has both. Guess the radiator warms up the tranny to 150+, and the front cooler keeps things under control when towing. In the RAVE workshop manual there is a drawing on section 26 page 5 that shows this. Lots of pickups don't have a tranny front cooler, and just depend on the radiator. So you might be able to use one of those after market ones.