Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Tried almost everything- sunroof leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 01:32 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof leak help! Tried everything

Hey guys,

I bought my disco 1 from my brother about 2 years ago. Soon after purchasing I found both sunroofs leaked. I read on several of these forums to seal them, so I sealed both. Front sealed great- going on one year without leaks. The second, however, worked for a few months then started leaking again. I resealed, thinking maybe I’d done a bad job the first time, then replaced one of the buttons on the glass, sealed around the frame where the plastic and fiberglass meet in addition to where the glass and rubber seal meet. None of this worked. I checked the drain tubes and they are clear and no leaks, and the nipples on the trays the tubes hook into are in good order.

Finally I recently broke down and bought the Sunroof gasket from Lucky8 (EEQ500010) and installed it, but now the sunroof won’t sit properly/seal even after bolting the glass buttons in to the rails. I’d love for it to be something stupid I’m doing wrong, but I’m really struggling to figure this out.

Did I put the seal in wrong? Any other input or advice? I read the glass could be warped or maybe the rails are broken? I’m out of ideas.

Thanks a bunch.

Last edited by Gloria Mahoney; 06-03-2020 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Title edit
Old 06-03-2020, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 117 Likes on 102 Posts

Maybe the roof (metal) is bent(??) just a guess. try putting a string across the roof from the left to right , tape the ends and compare how it sits on each side. It might show a slight curve on one side and not the other.. Metal will flex, glass not so much.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:04 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimvw57
Maybe the roof (metal) is bent(??) just a guess. try putting a string across the roof from the left to right , tape the ends and compare how it sits on each side. It might show a slight curve on one side and not the other.. Metal will flex, glass not so much.

thank you! I will check that out. If the metal is bent how would I go about fixing that? I was just looking on another forum and it’s possible the seal I bought is thicker than the OEM seal and that’s the issue, but I’m not about to drop another $100 for another 🙄 not sure how to fix that problem either haha

Old 06-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the same problem so I caulked both sunroofs shut. Was still having water drip down my drivers footwell and getting the relays wet. This weekend I ran a hose on the driverside A pillar only, Was still getting water in through the gaskets on the front window so I caulked all around them. Im pretty certain that this will fix the problem but won't know for sure until I drive in the rain. You might be having the same thing, hope this helps.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 389 Likes on 316 Posts

The D1 sunroofs were a horrible design. Horrible. It has nothing to do with the drains. The glass is never going to seat properly no matter what. There will always be a gap between the glass and the outside rubber gasket. Over the last 20 plus years the rubber has changed shape and the sunroof tray has gummed up and everything else. Your only option is to seal with a caulk, glue, epoxy, or whatever. Flex Tape will seal it shut but once it is on it's on.

Or...you could take the entire assembly out and weld in a piece of sheet metal and completely seal the hole forever.