Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Typical Oil Burn

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You need to make sure you check the oil with the truck level and after it has sat all night, you can get all kinds of funky readings if you dont.
Also keep in mind that when you switch oil brands the engine seals and gaskets need to soak up the new brand of oil and you will appear to have increased oil consumption during this period.
Then also consider these things, during the hot summer you will use more oil because it thins out and burns off quicker.
Second, they want $1900 to fix your seemingly broken truck.
Rotella is $12 a gallon, thats $3 per quart.
$1900 divided by $12 equals 158.33 gals of Rotella. (if my math is correct)
If you are using 1 qt every 500 miles...personally I'd just keep a gal of Rotella in the truck when I went on a long trip.
IF your head gaskets blow then get them fixed, otherwise let a sleeping dog lie.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Lots of other places for oil to escape from other than HGs. Underside can show lots of oil, like from front crank seal, oil cooler pipes to radiator (if so equipped), etc. If blowing out that much, should show up on back of vehicle (as opposed to burning).

Old 07-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

One other alternative is too look around for a good deal on a used engine. Take your time redoing the various items on the spare engine, getting it ready to install in your truck when the time comes. That gives you the advantage of working on the replacement while it is out of thruck and everything is much more acccessable, especailly if you are doing the work yourself. I believe that is better than paying the shop you spoke of for what may be only part of what is needed. The initial estimate could turn out to be a lot lower than the overall total that may be needed once the engine is removed if other items need to be taken care of.

In other words, I think if you have the ability to do it all or a good bit of it yourself, you will get more done for a lower total. Of course, some people may prefer to have a shop do it all.

Last edited by Danny Lee 97 Disco; 07-21-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
One other alternative is too look around for a good deal on a used engine. Take your time redoing the various items on the spare engine, getting it ready to install in your truck when the time comes. That gives you the advantage of working on the replacement while it is out of thruck and everything is much more acccessable, especailly if you are doing the work yourself. I believe that is better than paing the shop you spoke of for what may be only part of what is needed. The initial estimate could turn out to be a lot lower than the overall total that may be needed once the engine is removed if other items need to be taken care of.

In other words, I think if you have the ability to do it all or a good bit of it yourself, you will get more done for a lower total. Of course, some people may prefer to have a shop do it all.
Dan,

I think you have a really good suggestion. I like working on my rigs personally as I have not found anyone that I can trust. One shop replaced the steering gear and re-used all the same nylon nuts, which caused the steering gear to become loose. I had to go back and replace all those nuts. When I called to complain about it they said it was common practice to reuse nylon nuts.

So now I just need to find a cheap motor. I might even do a complete rebuild of the motor so it would be like brand new when the HG fail :-) Plus it is an investment over time instead of a huge cost up front.

-ed

Old 07-20-2011, 11:32 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mine eats 0 oil

Old 07-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by errose2002
Dan,

Plus it is an investment over time instead of a huge cost up front.

-ed
I like the way you put it.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am fortunate enough to have a local import recycler that prefers to gut the major items from any import vehicle, put these on shelves in their warehouse and turn them over quickly at a good price.

They do not strip each and every little item indivicually. They pull out what sells easily and then crush the vehicles for the scrap metal.

I have already purchased used starters, alternators, rear drive shadts and various other items at very good prices.

I do want to get a "spare" engine one of these days to take my time refreshing it and having it available for future use. They also offered me great prices on tranny and T/C still mated. Mine is in fine shape currently, but I am very tempted to grab one of those as well.

If anyone has an interest, let me know and I will see what they have available. At the prices most places charge, I prefer to go this route.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=Danny Lee 97 Disco;258612

If anyone has an interest, let me know and I will see what they have available. At the prices most places charge, I prefer to go this route.[/quote]
What is there name? Where are they located? Do they have a website? I may need a motor in the future.... Thanks

Old 07-21-2011, 04:40 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love your motor, use premium gas, change on schedule. Here is mine today. Mobil 1 high mileage with 3500 miles on it. Haven't added a drop. This motor has 128k on it. Original heads and bottom end. It can be done fellas.
Typical Oil Burn-imag0643.jpg

PS. I was going to change it today but figured I could do the recommended 5k. It looked pretty clean.

Last edited by photocrimes; 07-21-2011 at 04:42 PM.