Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

unknown vibration

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011 | 09:58 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Unhappy unknown vibration

it started while cruising at 50-60 mph, since then it has progressively gotten worse, now the vibration starts at 30 mph and doesnt die down unless i stop accelerating almost completely. even without accelerating the vibration is noticeable (until the car slows) though not nearly as bad as when i am.
-i honestly cant tell the source of the vibration, it is bad enough to shake the shifting lever, while still resonating through out . could this be the transmission/clutch (R380)?
-my steering box is bad and very loose however the vibration is definatley not death wobble
-i have already replaced the rotoflex and the rest of the ujoints look alright
-i beleive my 2 major culprits are the rear shocks and a rear bushing
-there is a bushing ontop of the rear axle which connects to the triangular link which is worn pretty badly. could this be the case?
-where the bottom of the rear shocks mount to the axle is completely loose with plenty of play. i can actually spin the bottom half of the shock around.
one of the shocks is leaking oil
could having loose/blown shocks cause a bad vibration?
thank you for your time!- also getting bad gas mileage 160mi per 22 gal tank, exhaust temporarily removed after cats

Last edited by cationmoted; 11-06-2011 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2011 | 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Shocks are known more for failure to smooth out bumps, compared to constant vibration. Shocks need replacement.

While you may believe U-joints to look OK, and they have been grease many times since you owned truck - they could be bad. You could drop out the front prop shaft and drive in High - Lock postion (two rear whels still work). This would isolate vibrartion from front parking lot.

Old 11-06-2011 | 11:35 PM

The shocks being loose from the axle would concern me. also that bushing at the top of the rear axle, if it goes you are in a world of hurt potentially.

When you replaced the rotoflex, did you just drop the rear of the d/s or did you completely remove it and reinstall it? If you did completely remove it, did you mark it and ensure you reinstalled it in the same clocking?

If the d/s got rotated, that will cause an unbalance which will cause severe vibrations. There are 4 possible positions based on four bolts in the front flange to the parking brake. So there is a 1 out of 4 chance on reinstalling it in the same orientation. There is a small tab welded to one side at the factory for balncing purposes. Did not know if you were aware of that or not.

Old 11-08-2011 | 02:49 PM
Three Wheeling

What a coincidence- same thing was happening to my 99 D1. Had the Guys at Rover Techs in Scottsdale check it out and the problem was a U-joint on the front prop shaft. It was totally shot and would have soon come apart on me. Same symptoms though- vibration started at 70mph, and worked it's way to about 30. Good luck.

Old 11-08-2011 | 09:08 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
The shocks being loose from the axle would concern me. also that bushing at the top of the rear axle, if it goes you are in a world of hurt potentially.

When you replaced the rotoflex, did you just drop the rear of the d/s or did you completely remove it and reinstall it? If you did completely remove it, did you mark it and ensure you reinstalled it in the same clocking?

If the d/s got rotated, that will cause an unbalance which will cause severe vibrations. There are 4 possible positions based on four bolts in the front flange to the parking brake. So there is a 1 out of 4 chance on reinstalling it in the same orientation. There is a small tab welded to one side at the factory for balncing purposes. Did not know if you were aware of that or not.
thanks for the info, when i did the rotoflex i just dropped the rear half and rebolted it. there was never a problem with vibrations after reinstalling the shaft. however assuming i did reconnect it a diffrent way, would the vibrations from the shaft be immediately noticeable? it has been about 1000 miles since i did the rotoflex
could you please tell me more about the bushing? if i continue to drive with the worn bushing what consequences would i encounter? and how difficult would it be to replace it?
also i tried tightening the shocks... couldnt budge the bolt on the bottom of the shock, would you happen to have any suggestions?
thanks

Last edited by cationmoted; 11-08-2011 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-08-2011 | 09:15 PM
|
Three Wheeling

ill go ahead and drop the front shaft and see what difference it makes

Old 11-08-2011 | 09:33 PM

You might want to take it to some place for a "free inspection" if any of the local shops offer that.

Not really sure about why you are unable to tighten those bottom bolts. Did you try spraying with PB Blaster?

That bushing above the rear diff basically connects your rear suspension to the body, right? If it comes apart, I am afraid to predict anything except major hurt!!!!

I have not had to deal with that yet, but if you have a lot of loose items, you need to park it until it is safe to drive or catastrophe could be looming!!!

These things weigh over two tons and are top heavy as hell with the steel top sitting so high above the center of gravity. Jerk the wheel real quick with a excessive load being placed upon a couple of loose bolts and things could get real bad real quick.

Old 11-09-2011 | 11:08 PM
|
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
You might want to take it to some place for a "free inspection" if any of the local shops offer that.

Not really sure about why you are unable to tighten those bottom bolts. Did you try spraying with PB Blaster?

That bushing above the rear diff basically connects your rear suspension to the body, right? If it comes apart, I am afraid to predict anything except major hurt!!!!

I have not had to deal with that yet, but if you have a lot of loose items, you need to park it until it is safe to drive or catastrophe could be looming!!!

These things weigh over two tons and are top heavy as hell with the steel top sitting so high above the center of gravity. Jerk the wheel real quick with a excessive load being placed upon a couple of loose bolts and things could get real bad real quick.
as for pb blaster would wd-40 do the trick? -might be a dumb question..
the bushing is located at the connection of the triangular link and the axle
the triangular link connects to the chassis
yeah the rover is parked right now and will be until i can figure this out.
thanks again