Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

V8 -> 300TDI Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen deisel defenders on Craigslist for 15000, makes you think twice about dropping 10-15 on a disco

Old 02-10-2012, 03:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The actual nozzle from the pump (green one) is a larger diameter for dispensing diesel fuel thus the need to remove the filler neck insert.

Swapping from an auto to manual trans will be a difficult job alone. You'll need to find a pedal assembly which may be somewhat difficult. Then of course bolt it all in and plumb your lines. Perhaps one of the dismantlers has an entire setup for you. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2012, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Heck, I think there is one on there right now for $13. If you are ok with rust that hasn't been painted over yet, you can import a whole truck for a lot less.

Land Rover : Defender Land Rover : Defender - eBay (item 170770149218 end time Feb-14-12 13:31:45 PST)

Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Do yourself a HUGE favor, buy a EXMOD Rover, you can guy them in LHD, shipped to the east coast for about $6000 total, then you just need to have it shipped to your place or go and pick it up.
So for the price of your "new" TDI alone you can have a whole "new" Land Rover, with a TDI already installed.
Now here is something to consider, if you were to go in full time and not the reserves you can ask for a overseas station, buy a Land Rover there and then the Marines will ship it back to the US for you for FREE when your tour is over.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the input guys and I know it would make a lot more sense to go for a Defender or to go overseas but my situation is I am staying in the US for at least the next 4 years to finish school. Once I get back from basic, combat, and MOS training I will apply for the PLC program to become a commissioned officer once I get my degree in Aerospace Engineering at MSU. Then I plan on getting an Air PLC Contract so I can fly. Lots of time training and school not enough room to go overseas as an enlisted (no disrespect but this is my plan). And yeah, it might take me awhile to do this but once I'm done I'm going to be even more attached to Claire than I already am. So call me stubborn or whatever but I'm rolling with it Who knows, maybe once I'm done I want to get a Defender too haha. I've got plenty of years left ahead..hopefully. :P

(OT: anybody reading up on what's going on in Syria? It makes me really angry that such violence is going on towards people that are helpless and nobody can do anything about it right now..)

Old 02-11-2012, 07:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

3 reasons to rethink this idea, expense, cost of fuel and huge lack of power.

Old 02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

After serious thought...I've decided just to go for it. I mean, it's what I want so I'm contacting LRI and M&D Engineering about cost and what is all necessary and for help also. Keep you guys posted.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:40 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by calebbo
After serious thought...I've decided just to go for it. I mean, it's what I want so I'm contacting LRI and M&D Engineering about cost and what is all necessary and for help also. Keep you guys posted.
So once you get your diesel in...What's the plan with the drivetrain, interior, exterior? Are you going for a full restoration type thing or just dropping in the engine/tranny and going from there?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you, Id drop a cummins diesel in it. THEN you have power!

Cummins Land Rover - YouTube

Old 02-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you go to the autoscout24.com and pick english for the language ,then go to Italy select Land Rover disco the year range you want ,you will find a D! in a diesel for about 1500.00 euros shipped to Canada landed about 3300.00 U/S have it shipped as parts to your home town 1200.00 .Now you have a complete truck year you want diesel you want and everything you need for the swap and only 134,000 kms on it plus enough spare parts to keep you going for the next 10 years . just a thought you may want to check out. We have brought back some Alfa's and old style Austin mini's and it is qiute easy .

Quick Reply: V8 -> 300TDI Conversion