Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water pump bad after shop opens front cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:21 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump bad after shop opens front cover

Had a wobbling crank pulley/harmonic balancer that damaged the front main seal. took to a shop to replace. after they finish and on start up, the water pump is ticking loudly. they say I need to replace the water pump now, but its obvious they have damaged it. I never had any problems out of it before. any thoughts? could they have just put one of the longer bolts in the place a shorter one shouldve gone? any quick fix that may cause the ticking noise?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Usually it is the wobbling water pump, not the big guy below...

Water pump is a $50 - $150 part, depending on brand, and about an hour. Wrong bolts would not damage water pump, but could stress front cover. If you had cover off, was oil pump inspected for cracks, or replaced? Would also have been a good time for a timing chain.

But there are limits to how nice a bass boat we need to fund for mechanic...

It would be tough to damage a water pump and cause a tick. But an oil pump can make a tick sound....

When my D1 WP went at 175K, it started to wobble the fan pulley, leak coolant, and when opened up it had scuffed the inside of the front cover and the pump, chewing away aluminum.. see https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...light=internal

Might be a good idea to do the water pump AND do an oil pressure test at cold and hot, idle and 2500 rpm. Do test first, incase cover needs to come off again. A some WP start to go out in the 85K and up range.

Attached Thumbnails Water pump bad after shop opens front cover-pump.jpg  
Old 10-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

With that mileage on there it is not unusual to see the pump fail. How about your timing chain and oil pump, they should also be inspected and replace.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SB: exactly what are we looking at with that picture?

I looked at the other thread, amazing degradation of the original WP.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:35 AM
Three Wheeling

just had water pump replaced last year. The crank pulley was wobbling, and it turns out the keyway had been shaving down the inside of the pulley, truly unique. Ill post pics of this tonight... but after running it for a while, the sounds went away? could it be the water pump had not been fully primed?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

SB: exactly what are we looking at with that picture?

oil pump pix from DeepBlueWater I believe, note cracks around edge, was in multiple pieces, still had some pressure, just not what was needed, a potential tick source.

My point would be that if you disturbed the front cover, and now have a tick, the oil pump might be more likely than the water pump. Of course, it is easy to keep adding to the list and eventually we get to the credit card limit...

Also, if front creak seal was being taken out by a wobbling crank, that same crank is giving the oil pump a wild ride just a few millimeters back down the shaft.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just because the crank pulley was wobbly does not mean it was because of the crank shaft.
It could very well have just been a bad crank pulley.
You need to remove the belt and start the truck, is the tick still there?
When my original alternator went bad I thought I had a bad rod bearing because it knocked just like a bad rod bearing does.
Turned out to be bad bearings in the alternator, figured it out by removing the belt and running the engine, noise was gone.
spun each pulley by hand and the noise came back when I spun the alt pulley.
So it is time for you to start spinning pulleys by hand.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM
Three Wheeling

while driving back to the shop, the water pump pulley fell off. after removing the belt from the bay, I ran the motor for a few hundred yards into the shops parking lot. no ticking while the belt was disconnected. tick is actually coming from the power steering pump. but it also turns out they managed to bend the water pumps shaft with a pry tool (they say) while they pulled off the front cover. so looks like ill need a new water pump and PS pump. its about that time anyways

Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Three Wheeling

Name:  pulley2.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  35.2 KB
Name:  pulley1.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  44.0 KB
this was the crank pulley

Old 11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope youre getting a lot of this labor for free, and the cost of replacing the parts that they damaged...

sounds like a pretty terrible shop though

Quick Reply: Water pump bad after shop opens front cover