Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Water pump bad after shop opens front cover

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is another way to bend the water pump shaft while removing the crank pulley, original artwork by EricT... This is OK, if you plan on puttng in a new water pump.

Attached Thumbnails Water pump bad after shop opens front cover-pulley-bolt.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
It could very well have just been a bad crank pulley.
As is common on these motors and that is why Will has a good supply of them. They crack near the keyway and take out the oil seal that is only replaceable from the front. Not one front cover bolt is touched to replace the seal hence nothing was done to the water pump at all. If anything the front was lifted to replace the seal cuz this job is one that can be done on the side and not need a lift for more serious business.

God Bless, turn a simple issue into a full blown motor change......bent cranks, blown oil pumps.....really ridiculous.

Common issue fellas, half moon key in a shallow square keyway will roll when the truck runs rough, super ****ty design and the fix is to use a square key with the replacement pulley.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

IHSCOUTS: Thanks, that is good to know.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, not going to take it back. I'm gonna suck it up, buy the new parts, and do it myself. I only took it to them to save some time and get it done faster than I could do it. I wont be letting them touch my truck again

Originally Posted by ValveCoverGasket
i hope youre getting a lot of this labor for free, and the cost of replacing the parts that they damaged...

sounds like a pretty terrible shop though

Old 11-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Only takes one good time......

Originally Posted by zracin
Nope, not going to take it back. I'm gonna suck it up, buy the new parts, and do it myself. I only took it to them to save some time and get it done faster than I could do it. I wont be letting them touch my truck again

I merely took mine in for a muffler installation with me supplying the muffler (ordered from RN) and a state inspection. They took all afternoon to do the muffler and the next day ruined all 20 good shiny chrome capped lug nuts using the wrong size socket and an air powered impact gun turned all the way up.

I am extremely careful who touches mine. I do all I possibly can myself.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im just going to sell the Disco..listed in FS thread. if it doesn't sell, Ill either get around to doing the work myself or part it out