Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Well, it was too good to be true

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well, it was too good to be true

My 96 was doing farely well until this morning while driving to the city. I was on the freeway and all of a sudden hear a pop come from front area. Seemed like my front right tire had blown. I exit and look at the wheel/tire no problems. check the rest no problems. Kept driving nice and slow (30 mph) with hazards on and then vibrations began to get worst and finally heard a really loud collection of bangs come from front almost like i lost parts of the truck. I pull over and no leaking fluid, nothing is hanging down, loose or broken. After that loud bang the shaking went away (kept driving at around 25-30) but when i turn the wheels a little bit of noise kept coming from front right. I got home and parked it. I don't know if its the front diff that may have just destroyed itself or maybe the axle/hub? Any input?

Old 01-16-2014, 11:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a CV joint. Jack up the truck and unbolt the drive shaft from the diff. Turn the wheels and listen for noises and check for resistance. Diffs are cheap as well as front axles. I have some front axles I really don't need sitting around if you end up needing one.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:20 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, I took the wheel off and spun it. I started to think okay Ill hear that axle beat up and then realized the drivetrain piece from Center diff to front diff was making a noise and was wiggling. Look under and see that where it meets the center diff it cracked. Here are some shots.

Name:  image64_zpsf6ce6db2.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  64.5 KB

Here is a video that may help see it better.

Any good hints to where I can find one for a good price? Do only D1 fit or does it share with others?

Old 01-21-2014, 05:44 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've never seen a broke propshaft before! Check the center and front diffs, make sure nothing is binding up that would have overloaded that shaft and broken it. It shouldn't just fail unprovoked like that...

Old 01-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Its weird, all i can recall was my diff lock was stuck and never had a problem. But, I never disengaged it since the system was stuck. I dunno if that influenced it with the drive...? I had put many miles since though. We shall see. Ill take the front shaft off so atleast i can drive just RWD lol.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Look no further, your CDL being constantly engaged caused your driveshaft to fail.
1) Get a new driveshaft
2) Unlock your CDL.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:00 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Short and sweet!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:11 PM
Three Wheeling

Im going to have to look at how to unlock it manually lol (feel like such a noob!!!! been doing imports forever but not 4x4 beasts like this!!) Thanks for all the patience guys. If anyone can throw me in a direction for adjusting my diff itd be greatfully great!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If the shaft is broken (I can't see pix on my phone) you may have to keep CDL engaged. It is a common work around with a busted shaft to pull it out and drive with CDL on until repairs can be funded. You have a 2WD Rover. CDLs if not exercised can freeze up. I was able to squirt a half a can of PB BLaster down in mine by taking loose some of the shift boots and working the nozzle down beside everything.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling

Yes, the diff will stay locked while i replace the shaft.

When i move my shifter boot it moves but it feels like nothing goes on. When I got it I didnt have diff lock on and then I messed with it some and locked the diff Luckily it was prior to offroading and it works like a champ lol

Quick Reply: Well, it was too good to be true