Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What the heck Rover Gods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What the heck Rover Gods?

Finally once I had the CDL done and put back together and everything installed I drove for a week or so. Now something new has erupted.. a squealing/squeaking/high pitched errrrrrrrrrr-ing sound

I don't even know where to start but I removed the center console yet again and made a vid..

It stops on acceleration but starts when you are near a stop and lingers until I accelerate. It stops at 1,000 RPM though, I pulled the e-brake and babied the throttle and found this out.

It starts at 18 seconds.. (in the video)

Weird Noise [Land Rover Discovery 1] - YouTube

Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Think it might be coming from MFU (multi-function unit) which is size of pack of cigarettes and stuck on back side of fuse panel? It has a piezo-electric sounder that is also about that frquency.

If from transfer case, might consider this LUBEGARD Gear Fluid Supplement which is an additive that quieted mine.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Think it might be coming from MFU (multi-function unit) which is size of pack of cigarettes and stuck on back side of fuse panel? It has a piezo-electric sounder that is also about that frquency.

If from transfer case, might consider this LUBEGARD Gear Fluid Supplement which is an additive that quieted mine.
Savannah...how much Lubeguard did you use ?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like a bearing. Are you sure it is not the idler pulley or tensioner for the serp belt?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I like the idea of slipping off the serpantine belt. Noises can be conducted in funny ways, I used one container of the Lubegard, it was under a quart, got it at NAPA.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Yep most definitely the tensioner and belt. Popped the hood and I could pinpoint the noise to the "a/c compressor/alternator/other stuff connected to the belt" area. Thanks guys, I wasn't even thinking when I took the center console out haha I just thought "Crap, I screwed something up.." since I fiddled with that last.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:44 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To help pinpoint it, you could slip the belt of and see what effect that has. Spin each pulley by hand and listen for noise as you feel for binding or other mechanical issues.

How old is the belt. There was that recent post about the fellow who went thru replacing 3 alternators then dicovered issues with belt and tensioner.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive been driving with a toasted tensioner for a while now on mine... definitely get that fixed haha

Old 05-09-2012, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also had noise from the A/C compressor, turned out all the dust from 4 wheeling got in the internals, I blew it out with compressed air and noise was gone.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
Pro Wrench

When I turn the tensioner it has a low grinding noise. The rest of them turn without a sound, though some easier than others.

Quick Reply: What the heck Rover Gods?