Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What the heck Rover Gods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay so it wasn't the pulley. I replaced that and after driving the squeal is back..
Pulled over and tried to diagnose, I thought it was the alternator or water pump but nada. I pulled the belt and spun the pulleys and neither have a grind or squeak. I believe it's a vacuum leak because it only occurs when the RPM's are below 1000. If I accelerate then it disappears. Weird thing is when I have the car in Park or Neutral it goes away because my RPMS go to about 1000, the moment I put it in Drive or Reverse the RPMS drop to about 800 and the squeal occurs. This is going to suck to diagnose..

Old 05-10-2012, 12:31 PM
TReK
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is the sound still there if you run the engine with the drive belt removed?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:50 PM
Pro Wrench

With the belt removed the sound is no longer there. So it has to be a problem with the belt and pulleys. We can rule out the tension pulley because I replaced that today to no avail. From what I can hear and tell it sounds like it is one of the pulleys starting with the alternator and going straight down. I repeat, the sound only occurs when I am idling under 1000 rpms. If i have the vehicle in park or neutral the idle naturally goes up and the sound disappears. Once I put it in a gear like Drive or Reverse the RPMS drop and the squeak comes back. When you accelerate the sound goes away. Because normally the sound quickens when you accelerate I thought it was not the belt but once the belt is removed the sound is not there. Could the water pump be the issue? What about the fan clutch? It isn't bad because when I run the car to operating temperature and turn it off and spin the fan by hand it turns maybe half way and stops. I'm just going down the pulley list that the belt rides on. The belt is about 2 years old with no cracks in it. I think I'm going to replace the belt just so I can be 100% that's not the cause.

Pulleys:
Alternator - need a new one anyways so I'll replace this with a Magnetti Marelli (question: does the D2 alt fit the D1?)
Tension - not the issue; replaced today
A/C Compressor - unsure but the sound is more in the centered pulleys and this one is far left (when facing the engine bay) and alone
Water Pump - maybe, I can't decide..
Crankshaft - maybe..
and one more I can't think of at the top of my head -

Last edited by calebbo; 05-11-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

1. d2 alternator does not fit D1

2. Can you use a broom handle or long screw driver and hold one end to ear and touch the other to suspects, like alternator, or pulley bracket or water pump, to hear better? Or buy mechanic's stethoscope.

3. Could be water pump. Do you see any wobble of the fan pulley? When wobbles it eats aluminum inside....

Attached Thumbnails What the heck Rover Gods?-p1030596.jpg  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:12 PM
Pro Wrench

No wobble and we can't find the noise. I used a long flathead first and then upgraded to the mechanic's stethoscope. This is ridiculous. Belt on, noise is there, belt off no noise. We can't find the source though! I'm about to start the "throw parts" technique..

Old 05-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove the belt, spin each pulley as fast as you can buy hand, if you dont hear the noise you will feel "gravel" in the pulley.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If i have the vehicle in park or neutral the idle naturally goes up and the sound disappears.

Your idle should not be at 1000 rpms in Park or N. It should be virtually the same if it is in gear or P or N.

I remember in the old days they sold "Belt Dressing" spray, I do not know if they still do or not, but I would put a new serp belt on like you said to at least rule that out and keep the old one as a backup.

Mine had an irritating squeel off and on for a long time and a few strangers walking by keep insisting that it was a vacumn leak, but I did not put much faith in that. It finally cleared on it's own.

You may want to consider a new water pump and fan clutch. Especially if all that is still original.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a spare belt because I got too much dust on it and it squeeled.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Caleb,

Since you are only a teenager, you cannot properly make the traditional offerings to the Rover Gods. I guess you could substitute some other beverages but I do not want to encourage you in the rituals I usually observe.

Maybe get the cheerleader squad and do a cookout with some good music, but I do not want to lead you down the paths that I took.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Pro Wrench

Got a new belt, the squeak is still there. I figure I'll redo the alternator, water pump, and fan clutch for good measure. Last 2 would be A/C Compressor and P/S Pump which I find highly unlikely. Checking for the "gravel" tomorrow.. I'm sure I noticed this but wasn't sure before.

I don't think I can do the "proper ritual" anytime soon. Been down that path, not exactly wanting to return anytime soon BBQ this wednesday though!

EDIT:
screw it, might as well replace all this stuff for new ones so I know it's not an issue.

New:
Belt [X]
A/C Compressor [ ]
Water Pump [ ]
Chevy Fan Clutch Mod [ ]
Chevy P/S Pump Mod [ ] (just PM 1997Ranger for that P/S Hose he made. I like it haha)
Rebuilt Magnelli Maretti Alternator [ ] (picking up a used one off a '97 for $35 and getting it rebuilt for $80)

I'll post back up when I start on this. Should be within the next week or so, but if not I won't post for awhile since I leave for the Marines May 21st!

Last edited by calebbo; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: What the heck Rover Gods?