Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

What is proper reading for MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default What is proper reading for MAF?

Ok, checked rave and did a forum search but I must be again entering the wrong terms.

I'm trying to find out what the proper readings for the MAF should be. My little bluetooth reader had been consistent with 0.1g/s for a while since I redid my O2 sensor wiring. I coulda swore I saw 0.08 once which is likely where I was at because my app display only gives it in tenths and is likely rounding up.
​​​​​​​
But now it smelled rich again so I hooked it up and while no current or pending codes I noticed the MAF is now fluctuating wildly between 0.1 and 0.4 g/s. Other than that I see nothing remarkable.

It's not NEARLY as rich running as before I repaired the O2 sensor wires. It smelled like fuel pouring out of the tail pipe at that point but the harness was found clearly damaged and after replacement it started running fantasticly. Now this.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

It shouldn't be bouncing around at idle, should remain at a steady reading because the airflow is constant. If it's not steady it might be either the MAF is tanking or it might need a shot of MAF cleaner. You can remove it from the housing, drill the rivets and remove, use self tapping screws to remount. Whatever you do be very careful with it, it's crimp soldered resistors and they are tiny and fragile...... don't ask how I know..... just be careful, I was not.

Old 02-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ihscouts
It shouldn't be bouncing around at idle, should remain at a steady reading because the airflow is constant. If it's not steady it might be either the MAF is tanking or it might need a shot of MAF cleaner. You can remove it from the housing, drill the rivets and remove, use self tapping screws to remount. Whatever you do be very careful with it, it's crimp soldered resistors and they are tiny and fragile...... don't ask how I know..... just be careful, I was not.
Sometimes the hard ways the only way to learn, unfortunately. I did just clean it about a month ago so guess it's starting to crap out. At least they're not too expensive.....