Discovery I Talk about the Land Rover Discovery Series I within.

Won't start unless solenoid is jumped

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Won't start unless solenoid is jumped

'96 Discovery 1. When I got it, the prior owner had it set up so the ignition switch had to be "on," and then started by a remote starter switch wired to the positive battery terminal. I'd like to use the ignition switch to start it.

From what I can make out on the RAVE diagram, the red/white wire from the ignition switch should be the wire the switch uses to engage the starter. While I don't know what the computer looks at when I try and start it, I figured that if there was 12 volts on the red/white wire when I put the ignition switch to the start position, I could run that to the starter and bypass the computer. When I tried to check it using a bulb-and-ground wire probe, the light in the probe never lit up, but I can hear what sounds like some kind of a pump from the engine area. Seems weird that there's no voltage on the white/red wire, but that somewhere a separate circuit is getting power, and I don't know what that circuit is or what it's energizing.

Anyone know what that pump is, and why I can get that to run, but no voltage on the white/red wire coming from the ignition switch?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

There is a fuel pump that starts up before cranking for a few seconds, and if engine does not run it cuts off. Sounds like he chopped up the wires to bypass the immobilizer or something. Download the RAVe and good luck. There is a starter relay that should trigger the solenoid.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope that was factored into the purchase price.

I would have slapped him silly or walked away from a butchered up rig like that.
Was it the first and only Discovery you looked at?

What can you find out from whoever did that? Good Luck on a ClusterFukk.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:22 PM
Drifting

I bought it from a farmer that was going to scrap it, and I paid approx. scrap value for it. It's a nice truck, and my daughter has wanted a Land Rover for a few years, so it was a good deal. Yeah, it has issues, but I'm willing to dig into them.
One problem has been locating the start relay. I can find eBay ads showing a four prong yellow relay, but Google doesn't bring up anything about where on the car the relay is located. Just a ton of people asking where it's at.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

download the r a v e shop manual set

Old 07-24-2012, 06:35 PM
Drifting

I'm using the electric manual from Land Rover Manuals. It shows the component identification numbers, but so far I haven't found a location guide in the manual.

Edit: Yes the manual does indeed show the location.It's behind the passenger side kick panel, according to page 51(!) of the component location section. The PDF format is a pain in the posterior, but at least the informations there-and it's free too, so enough of my complaining already.

Last edited by pottzie; 07-24-2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:03 PM

One big help when you are in that situation is Paul Grant. He will sell you a handfull of good relays salvaged from what he goes thru and most anything else you may need at a good price. His info is in many places on here, like Disco Mike's signature and a few others.

I printed large sections of the RAVE and made up my own reference sets.
Much easier when you are working on it to grab a binder or take a few pages out than to get on the computer and hunt.

Especially true for the electrical data.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Drifting

Got it! Ground the relay brown/orange wire, and it starts. Probably works in all gears, but hey, beats having to lift the hood every time I want to go somewhere.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:24 PM

There is a switch that is the one that is supposed to ensure it only function in Park or N.